GAS-ing for a 2x15 rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Sep 14, 2005.

1. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Hey everyone, i have a plx 1202 and a RBI into a avatar 2x10. I wanted to get a 2x12. But i love the way a 2x15 or 1x15 1x15 sounds, and looks. A local guy here plays with the mesa road ready 2x12 and i love that thing. Sure its big but say...2 dr bass 1x15s are like 40 lbs each. That seems pretty light compared to the mesa. Wouldnt that give you some really great sounds?

I dont really want to sell my 2x10 just because i dont want to ship it. It seems like such a hassle to box up a cab and ship it out. So i think im going to stick with my 2x10. Maybe i will just add that 2x12 under it. Use the 2x12 as my standalone, then really rock with the 10's added to the top.
  2. remo

Jan 15, 2005

thats my exact rig.. its PUMPIN' :hyper: :hyper:
  3. I have been gas'n SOOO hard for a 2x15 rig. I have an Avatar 2x10 Kappa Pro that I just got, but - I will be getting something for the lowend of my rig soon... i just haven't found it yet.

I have been trying to find a 2x15 cabinet that I could afford & also isn't as big & heavy as the Ampeg SVT215.... any suggestions? What cabs have you been looking at?
  4. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    SWR Big Bertha seems pretty nice for a medium price range. I am not sure if they make them anymore, but they pop up on ebay now and then. Nice and punchy 15's with a pretty tight higher range.
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The words "big" and "heavy" come with the territory when you step into the 215 market. Get used to it. :D

6. Used Peavey 215B-BW, Hartke's 215XL sounds pretty good esp if you used it a 210 or 410. I heard mesa has some good ones.
  7. Well, the Hartke 2x15XL -- I have looked at it, but it almost seems too good to be true. With that SMALL of a price tag, makes me feel like there is a reason it is so cheap. I already have a 2x10, and the Hartke would be perfect..... I am just afraid that it would not be satisfactory. Can you give me any more details/experiences with it?

thanks, henry
  8. hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    There are some great sounding 2x15 cabs out there that won't break the bank. As far as big/heavy, don't think you'll avoid that.

I recently came across an old Acoustic 406 that I acquired very cheap and this thing sounds spectacular with my Trace Elliot AH250SMX. The cab actually has (2) EV 15's, the bottom one is a 15B and the top one a 15L. The combination makes for an awesome tone and handles all the way down to the low B just great. Just something to think about. For the size, it's not bad. It has the handles on top and with a tilt back design that goes back on wheels like an appliance dolly. Actually makes it rather portable. It's just a matter of having a vehicle with a compartment for it to fit in.
  9. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

I think that the Hartke uses those crappy Neodium drivers. Anyone know for sure?
    Big and heavy is definately the case, but the sound is also big and that's what 2x15 is all about, so......

build one and load it with JBLs (natch!!) :hyper:
  10. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    what JBL's?
  11. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    OK...if I recall, Low Down Sounds 2x15 only weighed in at about 65 to 75 lbs. That's lighter than my Avatar Delta 410...annnnd. Tom Bowlus was playing though it one day and the whole place was SHAKIN! Annnnd...Tom wasn't playing with as much bass as I dial in...I just couldn't imagine. Anyways it sounded great. My dream rig consists of the 2x15 and one of their 6x10. Price? I believe avout $6 to $700???
  12. Yeah that LDS 2x15/2x6 looks great.
  13. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Alright! I see where you say you play the tuba. That's cool! I played the tuba... many, many years ago... in symphonic band, and I played the Sousaphone in marching band... both high school and college.

So... here's what you do: save every damn dime you can get your hands on, deliver pizzas, deliver newspapers, discover oil in your backyard... whatever! Then go drop a little under a GRAND for a Bergantino NV215... you will thank me for this, and write songs about me in the future!!! :D
  14. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I love my Sunn 2x15. There is a Fender 2x15 on ebay right now that is the same thing as my Sunn, only with that crappy fender badge :)

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only crazy one on this board that loves 15s.
  15. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    ive been gassing for a rig like so.

fender p-bass > sans amp pedal > my mesa400+ > svt 215, and an ampeg svt810

now i just need around 1500 for the cabs...
  16. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've been waiting to come into the money to snag an oldschool Mesa RoadReady 2x15.

Of course, there is something to be said about Eden's 2x15s, since they're the only ones I've seen offered in 8 ohm versions. You could do all sorts of evil things, and not even have to worry about pushing your head below 4 ohms.
  17. Ive got the peavey 215D-BW (deeper cab with black widow speakers), it isnt the lightest, but i got it in pretty good condition (considering its age), for only £75 :D :D :smug:
  18. oyvind2305

Dec 3, 2004

Ampeg SVP-PRO,SVP-1500,SVT15E,SVT15E
  19. jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    SWR Son of Bertha cabinets sound great! I use a pair for outdoor gigs.

Joe's Music has three or four for sale. 586-777-2333
  20. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I have 2 bag end 15's S15XD and S15D. They sound awesome are fairly light and you can pick them up used for about $300 each.

Hard to find them in a store to try but you can't beat the sound and price on the used market.

I'm in NY if your local your welcome to try mine.