Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GAS-ing for a Geddy Lee Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by orskard, Jan 16, 2005.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    What do you guys think of them? I really want to get my hands on one. I play a fender p bass special, i really like the way the geddy's look and hope they sound and feel just as nice.

What kinds of mods have people done to them? Anyone have pictures or reviews?

Too bad i need to buy my pre amp, other wise i would be looking for one...maybe by the summer!

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've put DiMarzio model J's in mine... passive humbuckers... preserved the original tone (thankfully) and lost the hum. Also rewired for pan-vol-tone... just like that better. Other than that, just a set of knobs.

Bottom line is, every time I pick this thing up and play it, I can't believe it's "just" a Fender. Tone, construction, and playability are just incredible. The harder you dig in, the better it sounds... growls with the very best of them, and a pure joy to play.

If you're a "J guy", two words... get one.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have one, totally stock. It sounds too good to modify. Yeah, like any singlecoils, the pickups hum a little when soloed. But I play with them both full on all the time. No hum, and the sound I want from a Jazz bass.

4. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    This is also my major GAS lately. Just have to wait for tax returns, then I might be able to snatch one without feeling like I sold a kidney or something.

5. Forgive me for throwing a spanner in the works.......but.......

What's the point in buying a signature model guitar, then modifying it?

Surely the point is to have a bass, exactly the same as the artist uses?

I mean, if you're going to modify a guitar, buy a standard one and modify that.

Or am I missing the point?

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    No not really,
    Some buy for looks, some buy for sound, some buy for feel. I just bought my Geddy lee a week ago and I love the way it plays and feels. I have not had a chance to play it out but that will be my litmus test. It is also possible that people who buy artist instruments don't want their bass to sound like every other artist bass out there (my Marcus Miller has the wiring mod). I bought my Geddy because it has an alder body, maple neck with blocks and
    vintage pups with top notch construction for under $700.00 bucks, I payed $599.00 for mine brand new! If I gig with mine and don't like the sound I would not hesitate to mod it with my first choice being CS60's.

7. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    I think in this case, where the Geddy Lee model isn't a new design that he invented but rather a reissue of an early 70's Jazz like his, people buy it because it's a good value. That's why I bought mine, and not just because I'm a big Geddy fan. The neck is unique to this model. It also has an upgraded bridge. Other than that, there isn't much about it that's very special. Just a decent Jazz bass for the money - cheaper than a US made.

I like mine for that fabulous extra thin neck which also looks very cool IMO. But I changed the pickguard and knobs, de-glossed the neck and added a Hipshot D-tuner. I might change the pickups at some point too, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    All I did was change the p/g. That bass plays itself!

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I like it with the off white pearloid but I will probably go with a black pg. :)

10. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I turned my Geddy pg into a mess of stickers, looks great though, plays and sounds even better, no need to upgrade a bass that already comes with them stock

PS: hey Lizzy, howd u degloss the neck?

11. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    I removed the neck, and went at it with fine sandpaper on the back of the neck, finishing with 0000 steel wool, then just steel wool on the fretboard. I didn't remove the finish down to the bare wood, just roughed it up to a satin finish which I much prefer to the gloss. I left the headstock glossy, as well as the spot where the serial # is.

12. This bass is a must-have!
    Wether you modify it or not.That is a killer bass!
    personally mine has black pickguard, Schaller tuners and Villex pups.
    And for those who think that a sig. bass should stay stock:who is Geddy Lee????I bought the bass because it is great, not because of Rush.
    Best bang for the buck in Fender line.

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    My sentiments exactly :smug:

14. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    ha. just get it. I love mine

15. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    i think my hands would be too big for the neck.

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Because you're not the artist this is a signature FOR. It may not be exactly what you as a player want -- I know it's not EXACTLY what I want. It's the neck, bridge, finish, construction, and general sound that I want. I'd like different pickups and a different pickguard. The thing is, these are very easily replaceable, but you can't buy the neck aftermarket. This is a huge part of the Geddy's design here -- the same neck design as a 72 jazz bass. No Fender other than the 75 Reissue has a neck even close to this, and even then, IIRC, it's a bit bigger. And you're paying more than twice as much! The neck and price are definitely what make the Geddy what it is.

17. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    Great basses. Nice, fast necks and easy to play.

Towards the moding a sig. The geddy's are the best jazz's I have ever played. so I rather take that bass and change the pup's or something for tonal reasons then buy standard and try and get it to play like a Geddy.

18. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    When tax time rolls around, if anyone's looking for someone to take a Geddy off their hands, just PM me. I'm your man. ;)

19. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    +1

Besides -- Geddy's are way better than MIM's, and just as good as MIA's (IMO, better playability-wise though) at 2/3rds the cost.

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The neck on the Geddy is not just like any garden variety 72. Geddy had his neck shaved down at some point, and the Geddy Lee Jazz neck is modeled after that, not a standard 72 neck.