1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gas is cheap. GAS, not so much...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fingerpickingood, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Fingerpickingood

Fingerpickingood

Oct 30, 2014
    Texas
    Ever since I made the switch from guitar to bass, I've been a member of the camp which believes that there's no earthly reason to spend more than $400-$500 on a bass. That being said... There is a GC within walking distance from my work. Suffice it to say that I am in there an awful lot. They've got a used G&L fretless fiver priced at a grand, and I'll be everlastingly damned by the Dark Elder Gods if I don't play the thing every time I go in! Major GAS. Has anyone else had similar experiences???

2. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    It's now even more used. Ask 'em for a deeper discount!

3. Fingerpickingood

Fingerpickingood

Oct 30, 2014
    Texas
    It's been sitting there for three or four months! I'm playing the waiting game...

4. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I know of what you speak buy it before it gets away. Playing G&L since 1986
    20150411_143309.

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    GC will definitely out wait you, so make your decision to buy or not without considering that they will drop the price just for you.

6. mel0dic.bassist

mel0dic.bassist

Jul 9, 2014
    Canada
    @theduke1 I drool every time I see your bass.. I had an L2000 Tribute (fretted) with Nylon Tapes and didn't really care for the tone. I imagine on a fretless, it would sound much, much better. Still love lookin' at it though!

7. Chico Ruger

Chico Ruger Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Western NC
  8. Fingerpickingood

Fingerpickingood

Oct 30, 2014
    Texas
    Hey, if someone here can snap it up and give it a great home, then I've done a good deed!!!

mikeyjm2 and Duder like this.
  9. Chico Ruger

Chico Ruger Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Western NC
    You are a kind soul. I guess that is a way to cure you GAS.

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I would try your negotiate with them on price alone. There are several out there for $800 that I found in a quick search. And there's nothing "rare" about a fretless bass even if they are less common.

Fingerpickingood likes this.
  11. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    TB convinced me I needed to try a G&L.

GAS convinced me I needed to own a G&L.

The 1988 L-2000 I tried at this pawnshop convinced me I needed to own it.

It gets worse every time you tease yourself. It took me 5 minutes of playing through a new-to-me MarkBass Micromark 801 to tell me I needed to buy that G&L. For $475, I was running red lights and selling everything imaginable to find the money so I could buy it that day. It was a hell of a deal. Amazing, versatile tone with MOJO™ preinstalled (worn). GAS struck fast and hard. Five minutes of trying, 4 hours to buy. Wow.

Funny thing is, that MarkBass amp had been purchased only two hours before the L-2000. I spent $675 that day, all because of my weakness towards GAS. Yeah, it hit me that bad.

I also had just purchased a brand-new American Standard P bass earlier that month. I think my GAS expenditures for October 2015 came to $2,024. Plus a P clone for $85, which I eventually returned for a preamp. God, I'm AWFUL.

12. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Here both GAS and Gas are damn expensive. Gas (as in fuel) works out around 6 dollars a gallon!

13. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Jesus on ice skates, that's beautiful.

14. Fingerpickingood

Fingerpickingood

Oct 30, 2014
    Texas
    WOW. I paid $1.40 per gallon last night. Filled up my pickup for $25.

Oldschool94 and Spectrum like this.
  15. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I get a great sound from both of my G&L 2500. Both wear nylon tapes and both are full passive with full coil tapping so I have 27 different coil /pickup combinations.
    Many sounds to choose from.
    Thanks for the shout out.

16. maves75

maves75

Dec 13, 2013
    Freeport Illinois
    GAS! When it strikes it can be for any amount. My best(maybe worst) bout saw 2 basses,and a Portaflex amp inside 10 days. I gassed as bad for the $1k bass as I did the $3k. Buy what you can't live without at whatever price you're comfortable.

17. Fingerpickingood

Fingerpickingood

Oct 30, 2014
    Texas
    Come onnnnn, tax return!!!

maves75 likes this.
  18. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I'm going to be in Dallas about 10 days from now. That bass looks mighty nice. Just sayin...

19. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    I've always bought what I wanted and found a way to get it. I have no ill feelings about spending money on something I really want. I had a new Alembic when I was 18, 1983. I don't think there is a line you should draw for anything you desire related to cost