Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think that my GAS may be satisfied in a major way. I like my 55-02 a great deal even though I will still send it in to a great local tech after Christmas for some fretwork. I also have a really sturdy, dirt cheap five string bass (sub $150) coming that will serve as my backup. I still would like a fretless, but there is no rush for one on my part.

I think that now that I have got a 55-02 after wanting one for about two years, I think that something inside me has told me that it is time to chill. I know that when I heard about the new two pup Stingrays, I found myself interested, but I am definitely not reaching for my wallet.

The funny thing is that now that I have the 55-02, I think it is a great bass, but I could have kept my Peavey Millennium Plus V, SR5, or Fender Precision Deluxe V and have had comparable quality and performance. The only thing was that in the back of my mind, I always wanted the 55-02 or 55-94. I've been through so many basses that I am afraid to say it, but I think I am content with this old bass! I guess I better start putting money away and help my wife get a new bedroom suite!
  2. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    No such thing!

I could buy 10 different basses right now if i had the money.
  3. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    What's up with those new stingray's anyway? Dying to see them.

Hopefully your chill-time will last. Good luck.
  4. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Same here. Except replace ten with about twenty.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Don't get me wrong, I would love to have more basses. I just feel that this 55-02 is a solid performer that can do what I want. I still want a fretless too. I will also get a slightly larger combo amp next year too. I just think that I have the main bass situation settled.
  6. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    if you plan on being a studio cat or want a complete toolkit here's what I can tell you...

a P bass
    a J bass
    a Musicman (4) or (5)
    a 5 string fretted (plus or minus the MM)
    a 5 string fretless (tuned EADGC for easier high singing lines)
    an upright

those are the tried and true standards that producers are usually happy with. great for any bassist toolkit IMHO.

7. That's a smart man. I find if I keep my wife happy, it's better in the long run for more gear purchases. :D