1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GAS is Truly a Habit

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, May 12, 2010.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I find that even when I am really satisfied with what I have, I find myself going, "gosh, I would love one of those!" I know this is pretty common, but speaking from my own experience, it is easy to buy too much, and then end up selling the very bass I liked to avoid running over budget! That is why I got rid of that 2008 Jazz 5 that I absolutely loved.:(

I am mentioning this because I am really happy with where I am at the moment, and I want to check myself before I am tempted to mess up a good thing!:)

Furthermore, anytime church members ask you how many basses you have you know you have too much GAS!:bag:

2. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    LOL I have brought in 3 basses to lessons before and Mark was like "Dang how many basses do you have!?" Cracked me up a little. I am young so 3 kinda seems a lot for me, I don't think so... considering I have 5 (one in pieces), and still want more.

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Funny thing is that I only have two currently, and have never owned more than four at a time. As I told church members, I don't own a bunch of basses, I just have sold and traded a bunch of basses over the last 24 years.

4. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Having found one of my "perfect" basses I my P, it helps with my GAS. But, I have it, bad. I'm broke though, so its coolio. Its a hard thing Doc, you know that more than most!

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Seriously, the only thing I would really want at this time would be to swap one of my TRB5s for a TRB6 or a Heartfield Six. Other than that, I believe I can walk away from other GAS.

6. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Because of the thread title's spelling of "Habbit", I misread it as "Hobbit". :D GAS is truly a Hobbit. I suppose that means the credit-card company is truly a Sauron.

7. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    A SX fretless maple fingerboard pbass and a certain fender JBS are 2 basses, if I had the money they would be coming home with me :D

I want stuff a lot but there is really almost nothing I can't walk away from...

8. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Its alright though, if you're badly stuck, you can get a Gandalf to sort you out...

Yeah, GAS is a dangerous thing, I almost made a very bad move last week, because of it. :meh:

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Realistically, GAS for me has nothing to do with actually needing something. I honestly feel that most of my GAS is about the thrill of getting something new. GAS is just another form of habit induced consumerism.:smug:

10. I currently have 9 basses, all of which I have a good justification for keeping, so yeah, I've been thinking about G.A.S. a lot lately. Currently I am content, at least bass wise, now I am tempted to buy a combo amp which I don't really need as that I have an Ashdown Head, an Ampeg 4x10, an Avatar 2x10, plus a little Behringer 1x8 combo, so I'm pretty much covered for any situation. Basically I talk myself out of getting a combo every other day.

11. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Sure it's the thrill of getting something new. Everybody wants something new. A lot of mine has been me convincing myself I could have a specific purpose for each bass. True so far but I'm running out of uses fast and I have a lot of the "Having that would be nice" GAS

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Note to Dr. Cheese: this is your 26th thread with "GAS" in the title. You have GAS for GAS. Get help :)

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It's better to talk about it than do it!:D Seriously, I figure I'm not the only one who posts on TB that gets the urge to buy something out of sheer boredom. I may be helping other TB'ers as well.:)

14. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I completely hear you Cheese. And sympathize. And agree whole heartedly.

15. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Dr. Cheese, you have officially won the award for posting the most GAS related threads. God bless you! :D

[​IMG]

16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The funny thing is that I have given myself a huge reputation for GAS, but if you actually check my sales numbers on my posts in the For Sale forums, I have actually sold relatively few basses compared to many other TB'ers, 33 to be exact. There are people here who have sold hundreds of basses!:eek:

17. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have just had the same feeling a couple weeks ago about amps. I have all I need and what I have really works for me (LMII + Carvin BX1500). However, I'd really love to try a TC rh450 and a GK mb500.

I played my LMII last night and know that I dont need another amp... especially since I force my to sell something before I let myself buy something else. I really dont want to sell anything I have.

That killed the GAS for me.

18. You hit the nail on the head. I have many wonderful basses, and really only need a few. I think it's more about the thrill of getting something new. When I start to get G.A.S, I just pick up one of my basses that I haven't played lately, and I realize how great it is, and how lucky I am.

That said, I sure have been interested in getting a vintage Fender Jazz lately.......I better go practice before I buy another.

19. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    No doubt, Doc! I've bought and sold a few things out of sheer GAS, that's true. Usually its not my main player though. Right now I'm fortunate to have some nice ones and tones covered.

I find myself looking at the FS forum, but not willing to give anything up. My gear funds are separate so I can only use those or I have to sell something.

20. bassphreak

bassphreak Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Lehigh Valley Area, PA
    I couldn't agree more. It's taken me a while to admit this, but this has to explain it. :p I am slowly building up to all of my 'realistic' GAS gear. Then I bet I go to the next level. LOL.

Case in point.....when I got back into playing I knew what I wanted, it's been on my GAS list since I joined: An American Standard Jazz and a Gibson Tbird. These are what I idolized as a kid. Love the two completely different basses for completely different reasons. Well I recently made it and had both. So GAS struck again and I swapped out my Jazz allbeit for another jazz. Seems GAS also goes with the color, neck, etc.

I have toned it down. I have three basses, one head and two cabs. I really don't need anything else, but man....there are so many things I want to try. You should see my profile. I have kept a pretty accurate track of all my gear. For my own benefit. HA!