1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GAS - It finally happened...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hagelslag, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Hagelslag

Hagelslag

Dec 19, 2008
    The Netherlands
    After 5 years of playing just 1 bass and just 1 (borrowed) amp it has finally taken hold of me.... G.A.S.

I just now realize it after spending a grand on a Warmoth body and neck, another grand for a Markbass combo, just this week I ordered a Nordstrand set of pickups and an Audere pre....

Now today I started searching for a nice OD pedal (which i do have a use for...) and without even checking my bank account credit bought the EBS Valvedrive. Yesterday i got my order with the new bassbag and strap along with a shielding kit and new set of strings.

This all in one month...

Don't get me wrong, I can pay for all this stuff and did really need the new bass and amp plus some good OD pedal, but this tendency to surf the web for new stuff at work, AND being able to pay for it is getting a bit uhm... you know.

Anybody else with sudden GAS explosions like this?

2. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Yup...
    I had that a couple of months ago. I bought several basses in a short period, some effect pedals, and a new rig.

Now it's the opposite.

I know what I need now, instead of want.

I have my dream bass now, nothing can replace that... I'd just be adding to the collection. But I'm keeping that GAS under control. :)

Actually, TalkBass helps me keeping GAS under control.
    Many members give good and helpful advice on certain gear, make helpful reviews... wich makes me realize that I don't need a certain bass/pedal/amp. It's like someone tests it out for me instead of buying it myself to test it out.
    And when I do need something, my search is very well guided to the piece of equipment I can use.
    If someone can understand what I'm saying. :)

If I understand correctly, for some this is the other way around... ??
    When you see something here (bass/pedal/amp) in the hands of another member, you just need to get that too.

3. Do like me: if it is out of your rotation more than 30 days: sell it.

I even sold that T-40 that I thought I'd keep because it looked nice.

4. Yes. I've never had G.A.S. until I saw the thread with the ACG headless in it recently. Now I feel like a crack fiend...

5. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Gas is something that i try to stay clear of... of course it doesn't help being a member of this forum :) . Here is my situation, i've been playing for around 13 yrs, and for the first i'd say 8 or so i played one pawn shop cheapie. I never really had a need for another bass until a played a jazz bass....I gassed for a good jazz for awhileand finally got two GREAT jazz basses. And since01 or so i always wanted a Curbow (not a cort model) but never had the means. Of course Greg passed unfortunately, and the basses have become pretty difficult to find. I got lucky and grabbed one in the classifieds here. The price was right and i just could not pass it up. The curbow has met my expectations without a doubt. An amazing beautiful instrument with a stupid range. I have my jazzes, they can't be replaced and, the Curbow wich is priceless to me.... i just don't think it get's any better and i feel blessed to own the ones i have.... ..... . ....

For now. :ninja:

6. This is my hobby. As long as the bills are paid and I don't cheat my wife or step-daughter out of regular every day things then I buy what I want when I want. I have tons of GAS right now but am trying to decide where to expel it - new effects board + some pedals or another Sting Ray. :ninja: