Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gas Mileage: Is EPA bunk?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Sep 11, 2005.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I was just perusing Consumer Reports' website and I saw this extensive piece about how they say that the EPA estimated gas mileage is, in most cases, not compatible with the gas mileage that you actually get in real life. In some cases it is 30 to 50% different than the tests that Consumer Reports does, which they claim are more accurate to real life driving (they explain their test methodology vs. the EPA).

It's an interesting article and you can find just about any current production car that is sold in the US on the list and it compares EPA ratings to their ratings.

Here's a link:
    http://www.consumerreports.org/main...ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=389451&bmUID=1126491248486

To see your car click on "CU vs. Government Tests" and then click on the alphabetic range for the make of your car.

For my car, the 2000 Nissan Xterra, the EPA city mileage is overestimated by about 27% and the EPA hwy mileage is underestimated by 10% according to CR.

brad cook

brad cook

2. For what its worth, my Element is just about right on what the EPA predicted, and the CR mileage is WAY too low. 21 vs 16 mpg is pretty big diff. BUt I'm in the 20's all the time, no matter how hard I push it.

randy