GAS...MTD Grendel

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pd_5string, Oct 7, 2002.

1. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
  2. egads! So many basses with wooden necks!

You may want to wait for the Saratoga (basically a Korean-made Grendel). Adrian should have some about this.
  3. Well, PD, the Grendel is discontinued. MTD had quality control problems with the Czech contractor, evidently. What's weird is that they're the same company that makes the Czech Spectors, which aren't known for quality issues. :confused:

Anyhow, every Grendel I've played, I've loved. I can't say I like the neck much, but the tone is monstrous. For a lover of thin necks such as yourself, it might be perfect, and it was certainly the best J-style bass out there for under $1500 before it was discontinued.
  4. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    Luckily, I have the benefit of getting a bass and if there is a problem, I am about an hour + from Mike Tobias, so this isn't an issue...the Saratoga's are basswood and the Grendel's are Alder, so that might be more favorable tonally for the Grendel...
  5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    actually, pd- the Grendels were domestic tulipwood
    (poplar) and the Czech production was pretty flaw free, Peter- the problem was that the Czechs kept messing up MT's orders and sending things like 240 instead of 24 and such- every Grendel i have ever played has sounded great!! the bart J;s scream!! Great bass- heavier and more solid than the saratogas- they also came with maple or wenge boards- Mike may still have a couple laying around- in fact, i think he does. when you first hit my site- youll hear a groove playe with a grendel- no eq on the board- recorded on ProTools- no fx at all- it was a red one with a wenge board- smokin bass!!