GAS - Music Man Stingray questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MGCollis, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Four string, one pickup

61.5%
  2. Four string, two pickups

2.6%
  3. Five string, one pickup

17.9%
  4. Five string, two pickups

17.9%
  1. MGCollis

MGCollis

Mar 24, 2007
    Ontario
    Hey TB people,

I've had a case of GAS for a Music Man Stingray for over a year now. I'm actually thinking of buying a new one for my collection. It will expand the tone options I have available, and complement my MiM Geddy Lee Jazz (modified), the MiJ Precision Lyte and a Rickenbacker 4003.

I'm just about sold on one of the new 5 string versions. They are reported as being lighter and with better string spacing (the G doesn't slide off the fingerboard - the older versions I've demoed did). I'm also looking at getting the roasted maple neck and maple or ebony fingerboard.

The question I have for other MM Stingray owners is two pickups or one? I don't play a lot of funk or slap, mostly rock in cover bands and singer/songwriter material, but I really like the tone of the Stingrays. I'm currently using as my amps GK MB112 combo with extension cab or a GK MB500 head through either a GK NEO 4x10 or a GK NEO 1x15 cabinet.

I don't get to see a lot of Music Man basses in my area and the weight and G string issue really have kept me from buying one in the past. The new ones seem to have addressed those problems.

I love my Rick, the Jazz fills a tonal hole that is needed with some of the material and people I play with, as does the PJ Lyte. I've needed a 5 string bass in my collection for a while as all the others are four strings. Yes, I have played some of the Rick 5 strings but I seriously dislike the necks on those (too square) and I really don't need yet another generic Fender bass.

Anything else I need to know, I should be aware of or you guys can recommend, even talking me out of the 5 string?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  2. I've had both the H and the HH in 5 string and the H in 4 string. I liked my 5 string HH a lot when I was playing more variety. I called it my tone machine because it suited so many styles of music. Both are good. I liked the 5 because the low frequencies were good for the music I was playing. B string is nice and solid on both (not as floppy as my Jazz).

The string spacing was a little tight for me on the 5ers and the necks seems pretty narrow, but hey, probably not the bass's fault there, I have big hands.

After I started playing mostly rock and country I thinned the herd to just my 5 H because I didn't really need the HH any more (and needed the $$$). I still miss it, but the 5H gives me the B string and versatility (I play mostly closed positions to be able to easily change keys). I mainly use the 5H for songs that thrive with a more "modern" tone and slap and pop. My main gigging bass is my Deluxe Jazz 5er in active mode (18v) and the 5H sits pretty on the stand until I need it.

MGCollis likes this.
  3. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

I have a 5H fretless and love it. One thing to consider is that the H is series in position 3 whereas the HH is parallel only in all positions. It doesn’t make a huge difference but it is noticeable.

Suho and MGCollis like this.
  4. Gsnorgathon

Gsnorgathon

Jan 15, 2020
    Sea Addle
    Won't try to talk you out of the five string. Will say that I found a 16.5mm six-string (Schecter) too narrow, and having gotten used to an 18mm six-string (Ibanez) find the 17.5mm on my five-string Ray to be just fine.

As far as narrowing down the choices goes, all I can say is holy cow, it's tough, isn't it? I went with a 5HH because I'm greedy.

MGCollis likes this.
  5. MGCollis

MGCollis

Mar 24, 2007
    Ontario
    EBMMStingrayHHSpecialBurntAmber.png

FWIW, this is the model I've been lusting over... Ernie Ball Music Man StingRay5 Special HH 5-String Bass, Rosewood Fingerboard w/Case - Burnt Amber. Personally, I'd prefer a maple or ebony (man made substitute is fine) fingerboard, but I may be able to negotiate that when it comes time to buy.

All the discussion and reviews I've seen seem to indicate that I might like the dual pups more than the single. I'm afraid that my Brice 6 string will be on the trading block when this one arrives.

Question: What makes this "Special" vs regular? I'm not seeing much difference in the descriptions.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  6. Gsnorgathon

Gsnorgathon

Jan 15, 2020
    Sea Addle
    Classic StingRays are notorious for being heavy. Among other things, the specials have a number of tweaks (such as smaller bridge, redesigned tuners) to reduce weight, plus a sculpted five-bolt neck joint instead of a more square six-bolt joint. Folks who have specials might be able to chime in with more details.

MGCollis likes this.
  7. MGCollis

MGCollis

Mar 24, 2007
    Ontario
    Thanks for the information. Even the guy on the Long & McQuad chat couldn't tell me the different "Special" made. Those are exactly the features I was looking for. Lighter is better. One of the reasons I haven't bought one before was the weight factor. I won't even consider the Bongos because of that (that and the fact that I personally find the design ugly, clunky and awkward to play, despite loving what Mung from Dream Theatre does with one).

8. Gsnorgathon

Gsnorgathon

Jan 15, 2020
    Sea Addle
    Dunno about awkward to play, but I've long thought the Bongo looks like one toilet seat eating another toilet seat. Still keep thinking about getting one, though.

MGCollis likes this.
  9. Suho

Suho Bass Guardian Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Albany, NY
    I vote 5H, as I recently bought an older one here on TB. It's great. In my opinion, if it's the "Stingray" sound you like, you are talking about the bridge pickup. I'm sure the HH offers some extra versatility but the 5H will get you where you want to go.

MGCollis likes this.
  10. Suho

Suho Bass Guardian Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Albany, NY
    ....And the fact that all Bongos I've seen are basswood makes them repulsive to me.

MGCollis likes this.
  11. barginkov

barginkov

Feb 1, 2012
    L.I. New York
    I've had sr5 ., string spacing too tight for me. 4hh ,4hs and over 20 4h.since 1978. I love the true stingray sound so for me 4 h is the way to go for my personal taste

MGCollis likes this.
  12. ElectricBass72

ElectricBass72

Aug 6, 2019
    Virginia
    5HH

MGCollis likes this.
  13. pertyman

pertyman

Jun 10, 2006
    almost like mine except the maple fingerboard. 5ADA7814-94F6-4F99-8F4D-E427A0B7E3D6.jpeg

MGCollis and awakefie like this.
  14. MGCollis

MGCollis

Mar 24, 2007
    Ontario
    I looked at that one. It was my second choice. It was a toss up between the maple fingerboard and the burnt amber finish. One or the other, not both.