Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GAS! Need thoughts on Ibanez SR400

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by peaveybassamp88, Aug 18, 2003.

1. I was in a used music store the other day just trying out basses for fun and I came upon this Ibanez SR400. Damn, that's an amazing bass! The action on it is exactly how I like it, and the neck is just right (IMO). No warping of any kind on the neck, and I didn't notice and scratches or cracks in the finish, or any other trouble signs for that matter. It's a nice blondie finish instead of the typical paint. Played through even a cheapie combo amp it sounded like a much more expensive bass, which would be a considerable step up from what I have now :cool: Best part, it's only $280. I'm considering selling my plastic Ibanez EDA 900 and a Squire P bass. Good deal? Anyone have any bad experiences with SR400's? Anyone have a friend who has a friend who's friend's brother-in-law's nephew likes/dislikes this bass? :D Please post, you guys (and gals too!) have been really helpful and always listen to my whining and ranting on about basses and stuff...thanks!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i think the EDA is nicer then sr400, although i dislike both, but if u like it, ok.

3. well, if it suits you, then go for it....I keep wondering how an Ibanez w\ EMGs is......if they sound awesome with 'em I'm gonna jump the gun and get one.

4. I dunno Figjam, unless I'm trippin or something :eek: it sounds pretty nice to me....I'll try to post am mp3 or two when I get it.

5. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    I like the ibanez thin SR necks, very fast and smooth, great basses i think, if you like it and it suits your preferences, go for it!

6. Bassbben

Bassbben

May 26, 2003
    LaSalle MTL
    I have a sr 400 too... but mine is fretless ...likitalot !!!!
    pretty low action fast playing and pretty growly... i had to put a custom preamp in it... ccause mine is the old version w/o the active preamp :crying: but now... with an home made preamp !!!! :hyper: it is pretty hot.....

:bassist:

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I started off on an SR400, then pulled the electronics, put new pickups in, etc. Now it's precisely what I use with a Dimarzio Model P and after four years, scalloped fretboard and a bunch of other things, it still sounds and plays great!

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I had one for 6 weeks! I tried my best to like that bass but the pups lacked character and the bass just sounded blah! I tried all kinds of string combinations to no avail. I traded it back in and ordered a MIM p-bass which I still have till this day :)