1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GAS NEWS: Fell in lub with a rig *and didn't buy it*!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Adam Bomb, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    Hello my name is Adam and I have GAS.

It's been a little while since I bought gear - like a week.

Yesterday I met up with a buddy and I had us meet at a local music store so I could GAS if/when he was late. He was late, so I played a cab I have been lusting after: A beat-up Peavey BW215. I picked out a Squier P-bass to play through it b/c I play a P-bass knockoff. Needed to pick a head not too different from my backup head, an Ashdown EB180, because I have been dreaming about this cab as part of a backup rig I might leave at a practice space or something like that. And lately I have been thinking a lot about blowing not a lot of watts through a lot of speaker. ("Underpowering" debate, anyone?) So I picked a used Peavey Max 160. There were only a few people in there, and I was feeling saucy.

LOUD. And sounded great. And heavy - a good thing in a rig I might leave somewhere. What a great combination of head and cab, too - not surprising, I guess, what with them both being old Peaveys.

And cheap - $159 for the head, $250 for the cab. I know I could have gotten out of there for $400 even, out the door. I am *not* used gear guy. But this rig was making me into used gear guy.

Here's the thing: I don't need another rig. I have a gigging rig that I bought new and that I love (SWR 700-watt amp into two Avatar 210s), and I rehearse at a bandmate's house where I keep my favorite combo and play through it and the band's P.A. I'm set. I could come up with no excuse for bringing home another rig, even a gig-worthy $400 rig. No excuse my wife would have bought, anyway. We're saving for a house. Plus I don't want to be responsible for moving that cab, even just to a rehearsal space. Plus, I don't have anywhere to put it.

There have been times in the past, and there may even be times in the future, when that rig would have been a perfect solution to some situation; but that situation does not exist *today*. So I took pictures of her with my phone, thanked the nice dude who set me up, and left.

2875838808_fc4fd81d98_o.

2875011153_a4d1a67a0e_o.

I know I did the right thing. But my heart is broken. It was just like having a hot seatmate on a plane and going your separate ways when the plane lands. After taking pictures of her.

TY for reading--

--Bomb :bassist: