Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GAS Octaver!!! EBS,MXR,EHX,BOSS....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by larrytron, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Boss OC3

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. MXR bass octave

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. EHX Octave multiplexer

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. EBS Octabass

8 vote(s)
    34.8%
  5. Digitech bass synth(As used as an octaver)

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  6. Other, please specify...

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. I'm currently in GAS for a lot of pedal effects SO:
    I'm looking for a really good octaver that can track low B.
    Which one do you prefer? If the ultimate Octaver is not in the list please specify...

thanks

larry

2. the digitech has really nice tracking, im getting mad about getting rid of it before getting a good amp, i kinda wanted to see how it would sound on a half decent rig. It is a nice unit i just didnt have a use for it.

3. I found the Digitech to be every bit as warm as the Boss with stellar tracking down to the B, if played carefully. My old EBS was awful chilly in comparison. Your drivers most likely won't produce that low anyways so maybe don't sweat it? We'll have to wait and see about that OC-3...

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've tried the OC3. (I ordered one at my store just for me to check out!:D ) It's way cold, and it made the bass feel weird under my fingers. It tracked pretty well, but doesn't do the low notes too well.

The distortion is terrible. Forget using that.

The poly-octave thing was kind of cool. It uses a built in cross over to control what range the octave effect kicks in, so it allows you to play chords without much mud. Not that it is terribly useful, but it's there.

My vote goes for the EBS. Not terribly warm, but it tracks well, and I've found that warmth on low octave notes doesn't matter too much. Especially when it's glitching like mad.

5. Huh. Have you not tried the BSW yet? It has the warmth of my BOSS and even better tracking than my old EBS. I actually traded the Octabass FOR the Digitech. The EBS is very frigid...not something I would have thought an issue either until a side by side.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Nope, haven't tried it. Perhaps I should. Is that a current pedal?

7. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Here's a vote for the Digitech. I've used both the Boss OC-2 and the EBS Octabass. I was skeptical at first too, but it really does outperform the others in a big way. Huge and articulate low end, and zero tracking problems down to low B...

It's current, but I've heard rumors that Digitech has been sold or filed Chapter 7 (or something like that), so you might wanna move fast....

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yup, been out a year or so. Another vote from me for the Digitech. Tracks amazingly well.

Obviously doesn't have the flexibility of the ebs, which has the 'high/mid/low' tone options, but I never used those anyway.

I haven't tried the OC-3, but did try the OC-2 and it was nothing special. The MXR is average, nothing great.

Actually, another good octave pedal was the DOD FX25 OctoPlus. They don't make them anymore, it was a pretty good tracker but not true bypass.

9. I guess my choice gonna be digitechalized!
    It's cheaper than the others and have more funktions.

No one for the EHX Multiplexer?Any thoughts

10. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I use a Boss PS-3. It tracks low B, and also does octave up, delay, and chorus (not all at once). I also like the Digitech.

Most speakers won't reproduce the octave down effect on the low B string very well. You can tell it's on, but it's not clear. If you're really looking for low-end girth, consider a DOD meat box or a dbx subharmonic synth.

11. CkB_Cowboy

CkB_Cowboy

Nov 30, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm surprised the Boss OC-2 isn't in this poll. I was very disappointed in the OC-3, however (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).

The OC-2 tracks pretty low, has a 2nd octave down that the similarly priced DOD pedal just doesn't have, and it has a very sturdy and lightweight chassis.

TBH, I haven't tried anything but the DOD and Boss pedals, since music stores around here don't really stock many octavers.

- Cowboy

12. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Dude,

What the hell are you going to do with a subharmonic B?

13. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    It's the brown note! :)

I don't need a subharmonic B, but when you're playing a descending line, it's annoying to have the subharmonic just disappear when you pass the low threshold. The Meat Box and 120xp have a tone knob to make the disappearance less obvious. Actually, the 120xp has been bugging me lately because it grabs onto some overtones of the B and subharmonizes them, out of tune, so you just get low end mess. I've been bypassing it when I play my 5er.

14. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Are you serious?

15. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    EBS gets my vote! Great octave pedal!

:D

Andy