Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GAS Pedulla MVP 4 or G&L P/J or J/J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bollefen, Aug 5, 2003.

1. bollefen

bollefen

Mar 13, 2003
    CT
    hmmm got the old gas and looking for a bass have several mim jazz and a rockbass. looking at higher end.

looking at 4 strings, just can't get into the 5s so will let go the rockbass and the jazz 5

any feedback on the P/J vs J/J and quality of them. i guess i'd look at Lakland as well but they're pricey even used.

thanks

bill :bassist:

2. i've played a lot of G&Ls, but i don't own any. among those i haven't played is the SB-2 P/J. i really wish i could play one, though, because i love P/Js.

i've played the SB-1, the P predecessor to the P/J SB-2. it's pretty cool and feels very solid. you can get it with either a P neck or a J neck. G&L also makes a "Legacy" import model if you want to save money. usual import rules apply.

robb.

3. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Sorry, no.. just want to make sure no one's misinformed.
    G&L makes an American model called the "Legacy"
    G&L also makes an overseas brand called "Tribute"

Honest mistake, robb. I've done it before, myself.

You may also want to look into an L2000 or ASAT. *hint hint*
    You'd be surprised how "jazz-like" those big fat humbuckers can sound when you want 'em to!

G'Luck

4. oh, yeah. my bad.

don't the humbuckers have coil taps, wo you can cut them down to single coil, or at least the smaller sounding series connection?

robb.

5. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Yeah, robb
    Older model G&L's had coil tap switches, making them single coils when that mode was selected. Later models (my '85 ASAT included) have Series/Parallel switches instead. In my experience - Series gives you a big, fat bottom end sound like a P-bass, very hot output though.... and parallel gets you closer to that jazz tone - a bit thinner than series, but not lacking in tone either... Just a more balanced, clean sound.

6. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I have a Pedulla MVP 4. Great bass. Can't really go wrong with this one.

7. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    I've got a G&L SB-2. They kick ass.......

[​IMG]

8. I have an old SB-2 (84) with the 2 G&L jumbo Jazz style pick-ups and this bass just kills. It's very round but it still has that clarity on the high notes. An unexpected surprise for me. As for the Pedulla or the Lakland you can't go wrong with either in my experience. Pricey, but worth it! You must be pointed in the right direction.