Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gas prices going up, fast.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Trevorus, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Some oil things went down in Fla, prices are about to skyrocket. Get gas, now. I have heard about a thing, also where on Sep 1st, some peope are planning a boycott. For one day, nobody is supposed to buy gas, to see if it has any effect on their outrageous prices.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    September 1st is way too early to organize a boycott effective enough. You'd have to plan that for weeks and get the word out across the nation.

Too bad it wont work. Why? We need gas, they know that.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That, and as a boycott, a single day is entirely ineffective. They do weekly oil inventory, not daily. Changing it from Monday to Tuesday won't even register for them. Besides, a boycott is usually doing with a good or service, period, not for a day.

Snopes has more on it.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, I just got some forward. So, I don't think it will do much good. But hey, anything to stick it to the man.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Anyway, i often have nightsweats about the gas crisis, (not literally but almost). Its horrible but inevitable. It was worse in what, the 70s?

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Plus how many people that just don't need gas on Sept. 1st are just going to be saying "Yeah, I boycotted."

brad cook

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

Not buying gas wont do crap. In the end, you will still have to buy the same amount.

Get everyone to not use their cars for a day. Thats how you would hurt the oil companies...

The Mcdonalds I work at shares a building with a Cheveron... I went in to work today at 3:30, and 87 was $2.83. I came out at 7:20 to go home, and it was $2.87.

8. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    It's ok. I'll just jog everywhere.

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I deliver pizzas. If it goes up a dollar like they have predicted, I'm calling in, and I will make sure everyone else cals in.

10. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    My old French teacher spoke Farsi (Iranian), and he said

'Kir tu chehsheh' which is the rudest form of "shut up" in that language, and translated literally, is "Put your tongue in your arse"...

Don't know the Arab version, though, sorry...

:bag:

11. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I just got back from my jog, maybe it's time to hang up the Yukon :(.

12. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I filled up last nite, it was 2.47. Drove past the same gas station today, it was 2.69. I'm getting a Chevy Metro to commute in.

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Now that's an idea. It's settled...we're all calling taxis to take us to work on Sept. 1st.

brad cook

14. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Some people are into that.

15. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Maybe this could be the impetus to use some alternative fuel type transportation. I heard about a VW van than runs on straight "biodiesel" which is pretty much just vegetable oil. The van has had over a million miles on it. So its definitely a viable alternative.

If you work at McDonalds you could just empty the deep fryer into your tank and off you go. Well, its not that simple, but seriously its pretty darn close!

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    $2.86/per for 87 at the local station here.

17. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I went to get some Ben & Jerry's (how I deal with times of crisis :D) and the counter had a sign taped to it that said "FILL UP NOW! AS OF 10pm GAS PRICE WILL BE INCREASED BY $.18!"

$2.82...lord..and I can't believe this, but I even heard on the news today that by fall, gas will be $3.50 average...

I only live like 3 miles from work, so it won't impact me that much. But my fiance has like a 60 something mile drive to work one way. She is an OT in the school system in that town, so she also drives to different schools. That's going to add up.

It's kind of funny how about 6 years ago when gas was really low, like $.87 in some spots, and $1.00 max, I remember flipping out when it went up to $1.11. $2.11 would look go right about now.

18. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I keep hearing about these Hydrogen cars that Honda is developing that apparently are in use throughout DC that produce nothing but water. Where the hell are they??? :)

19. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    The problem is the inferstructure and the greedy oil companies. Hyrogen and biodiesel cars are a real althernative, but the oil companies lobby hard to stop their proliferation. It also doesnt help when the current president is an oil man who's presidency owes a great deal of gratitude to the oil companies that helped put him there.

I am in favour of a car-free life, though I know its not possible for everybody.