1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gas prices--how is your band coping?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Howlin' Hanson, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Howlin' Hanson

Howlin' Hanson Lighter cabs, please.

Sep 3, 2007
    Austin TX
    Right now, we arrive separately to our local practices and gigs. But when a job is farther away, what do TBers prefer to do for band and gear transport?

Solo vehicles?

Carpool?

One vehicle and trailer?

Van? How many?

Tour bus?:confused:

And how is the band budget for transportation figured (if there is one)?

Just wondering...

2. BackwaterBass

BackwaterBass

Feb 18, 2008
    Kentucky
    We have been taking 2 or 3 vehicles and a trailer between the band and our road crew/friends that goes to our shows. One gui****'s dad has a trailer that we can usually borrow if he isn't using it, otherwise we rent one from U-haul for like $15/day. We're working on trimming this down, one of the gui****s just bought a van and once its fixed up and fitted with a trailer hitch that will hopefully cut it down to 1 or 2 vehicles at most. We usually pay for gas and trailer rental out of whatever money we make for that show, and whatever else is left comes out of pocket or goes into the bank if we make a profit.

3. Implosion

Implosion

Oct 19, 2007
    Finland
    Welcome to Finland: 8.5 USD a gallon :bawl:

4. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    We ride together, unless the gig is really, really close. Everything goes in the back of drummer's truck, and in our equipment trailer. And we won't take any road gigs unless they pay well enough to cover all our expenses.

I plan to trade in my '98 Blazer, my father's old '88 Crown Vic, and my mom's Grand Marquis, on a smaller, more efficient SUV or crossover wagon. That wagon will need a heavy-duty suspension and some power, though.

I need cargo space, and I need good power and performance so I can get up these hills around here, and a good, tough suspension so I can handle these country roads, and driving over rocks and through mud when we go to the lake, and through creek beds, and into and out of my driveway and our friends' driveways, too. (Very few of my friends have paved drives. We're all rocks and caliche out here.)

Small cars won't cut it out here. But I can't have that big ol' Blazer, with these gas prices. I need a leaner, stronger, powerful-yet-efficient truck than that.

Cherie

5. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    Depends on the gig. The duo puts everything in the convertable (you'd be amazed what fits in there!). For the whole group, we've got a trailer that the PA goes in and the guitar/singer ride in his truck pulling it. I bring my stuff and myself in my truck. BUT, the trailer is going bye bye shortly. Guitar player mentioned he'd like to get a van (truck old and iffy)... But no matter what, I bring myself. If it's a not quite as local gig, we pack everything in my truck (because mine is reliable) and they ride up in their car. When we get a drummer, he'll be responsible for getting himself and his equipment to the gigs.:cool:
    If we took one way out of town, first off we'd charge more to cover the gas. We'd probably rent a U Haul for the stuff if we didn't have a van, and that'd be figured into the price. With gas prices going up......I don't see us doing anything be local stuff:(

6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Being a 4pc band we all ride in one crewcab truck, both me and the singer own similar trucks so we take turns on who's truck we take. And for farther gigs, I own a 6'x12' cargo trailer so we'll haul the gear in that.

But as far as gas prices, we're a original band so we only get what we can make from the door sales.

7. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    Sounds like a great story for a Chevy truck sponsorship! Call 'em up. :hyper:

8. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I can get my whole rig on my vespa/scooter! (actually its a honda ruckus)

Seriously!

LMII in my bass bag's outer pocket.

Soft bass case over my shoulders like a backpack.

UL112 on the rear rack I made for the scooter.

I spend $10 a month on gas!

just a note: I've only ocassionally put my rig on the scooter to bring it to practice. I have to wear all this outer clothing and its just too much hassle to deal with when I have an actual gig. Its good to know that when the gas reaches $2 a litre I have an alternative.

Yes, I'm crazy!

9. so gas prices aren't a problem. The fact that we're not gigging is the problem:(

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Dooood! Word!

I have been thinking of doing that with my little Ninja..

11. My band has been doing ok with it. We have a '98 Dodge Ram Wagon (15 passenger van). We take out the last two rows of seats so we can seat 8. Thats perfect for us because we're a seven peice and then we have plenty of space in the back to transport all of our gear. We all live fairly close to my house (the band meeting spot) so we generally will just all pile in the van for every gig. Our gigs pay for our gas and usually food too. Overall the van is the most efficent way for us to get around places even though it gets a whopping 15-16mpg. The way we see it is thats more efficent that 7 people all driving seperate hybrids to and from gigs. If the band ever dissolves/ breaks up the van is the first thing to go though. Anywho, thats what we do.

-Joe P.

12. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    We cram 5 into a reg cab truck with a uhaul. We used to take another car but we dont get paid crap anyway so we pack in like sardines. Gas sucks :scowl:.

13. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    We drive cars! Too young to drive ourselves, so our parents take us :p And footnote; gas in Norway = A bit over 2 USD/liter.

14. Amen to that! Winter sucks for gigging!

My band does well, we just up'ed our price a little to compensate. We all take seperate cars, but since it's Rhode Island it'snot too bad (everything in the state is only about a half-hour away from everything else)

15. It's a mix for us - we typically carpool.

If we play further away, we ask for more money.

About basses on the back of a motorcycle / scooter...

When wearing the gig bag as a back-pack, are you concerned about the extra stress that is put onto the neck as a result of the drag force? Have you had any problems? I've always been SUPER careful about minimizing the stresses on my basses, so it probably wouldnt be for me - just wondering.

16. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I'm amazed at how much gear you guys bring. My band fit EVERYTHING into a Chevy HR5 (station wagon style) when we played Whistler (2 hour drive). Granted we are a 3 piece, but we try to minimize when we can.

17. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I usually take public transportation to gigs because I live in the City, so there isn't a point in taking a car or cab. I have a double gig bag where I take two basses. I then carry a back pack full of goodies (fulltone bass driver, DeArmond Weeping Wah, reverb tank, CountryMan, strings, flash light, and a small setup/repair kit)

18. von buck

von buck

Feb 22, 2008
    wolcott ct.
    We usually drive seperatly, we have guys living in three different states, you can get away with that in New England. If we have a long drive for everyone, we try to car pool We have a van that can carry all our gear and six people. Since this is our jobs if the money ain't there, neither are we.

Andy

19. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Right? Try and get 'em to design a truck that meets those criteria, and is affordable. I can do without all the frills...don't need GPS or an on-board PC, don't need dvd players, don't even need power windows. I need a lean, tough, reliable vehicle with strong suspension (and tight, too, like the Japanese trucks), cargo room, good milage *and* good performance and handling, a good a/c, and a good/decent stereo with a plug-in for an mp3 player.

And that's alllllll I need. :D

I could get to any gig with a vehicle like that. Since I can't usually stay as late as the rest, 'cause I need to get home to care for my mom, I need an efficient vehicle so I don't have to always rely on the drummer for transport.

If its a hybrid, well...shoot, (sigh!), I guess. I just hate how they sound. Tooooo quiet. No roar. They sound like George Jetson's car. :rollno: A truck should sound like a danged truck!

Hey, Chevy! Fill that need, and I will drive all over, sellin' trucks for ya! :smug:

Cherie :bassist:

20. von buck

von buck

Feb 22, 2008
    wolcott ct.
    I quit the road for a year to stay around town to take care of my Dad. If I couldn't make it back by morning, I wouldn't do the gig. I'm glad I did it though,it gave my dad and me a chance to get to know each other.
    It can be tough at times but in the long run...

Andy