Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gas prices.............

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike N, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    You Think A Gallon Of Gas Is Expensive? $1.70 for a gallon of regular gas makes one think, and puts things in perspective.....
    Diet Snapple 16 oz $1.29 ....... $10.32 per gallon
    Lipton Ice Tea 16 oz $1.19 ...... $ 9.52 per gallon
    Gatorade 20 oz $1.59 ............. $10.17 per gallon
    Ocean Spray 16 oz $1.25 ....... $10.00 per gallon
    Brake Fluid 12 oz $3.15 ......... $33.60 per gallon
    Vick's Nyquil 6 oz $8.35 ......... $178.13 per gallon
    Pepto Bismol 4 oz $3.85 ........ $123.20 per gallon
    Whiteout 7 oz $1.39 ............... $25.42 per gallon
    Scope 1.5 oz $0.99 ................ $84.48 per gallon
    this is the REAL KICKER......Evian water 9 oz for $1.49 ........ $21.19 per
    gallon. $21.19 FOR WATER! ....and the buyers don't even know the source. But then again EVIAN spelled backwards is naive. So, the next time you're at the pump, be glad your car doesn't run on water, Scope, or Whiteout, or God forbid, PEPTO BISMOL or NYQUIL!!!! Just a little humor to help ease the pain of your next trip to the pump...

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You people don't know what high gas prices are, we pay 1.10$ per liter!

No wonder US cars are such gas guzzlers.

On the other hand, a 1.5 liter Evian bottle costs 83 cents over here...

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

I remember reading something similiar to that.

Gas here has been cheap as of late. Around $1.43 in Minnesota and $1.55 in western Wisconsin.

4. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I hear this argument all the time coming from Europe, but isn't much of that price taxes to pay for public services? We may have cheaper gas, but we pay taxes in other forms.

5. man that is high gaas prices, i live in canada and have never seen the gas go to the three digit mark yet, and we consider it high at 90 some cents, we are used to like high 70s though

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    We still pay higher taxes than you do. We do get more public services though, that's true.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Ahem.

The lowest price for gas in San Francisco, CA is $2.19.

I'm sure glad my car doesn't run on pepto!

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i can't wait until the low sulphur diesel comes here in... '06? then we'll be able to use all those great diesel engines they have in europe.

i personally wouldn't mind having over 2 a gallon everywhere if it means there are a few less people driving an excursion every day to work, carrying only themselves and a large starbucks coffee. it's only a matter of time (10 years, if that) before the US is going to need to make economy requirements like europe has.

9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Even at $2 a gallon gas is still cheap, imo. And thats coming from someone that drives a Big Block Chevy truck that gets 6 mpg.

And, FWIW gas for my racecar is $5 per gallon.

10. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yeah, supposedly they did a survey of gas prices and SUV's, and only 25% (or so) said they'd think about buying another vehicle when gas prices got above 2.75 a gallon. the remaining 75% said they would keep driving it no matter how high prices got.

although i'm sure if it was the same as in europe, there would eventually be a decline.

11. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    We're averaging $1.44/gallon in my area lately, which is about 30 cents lower than the national average. I can't complain considering what many people are paying.

12. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Here in Canada (Edmonton to be more specific), it's now 73.3 cents/liter... but apaprently we still have it pretty good here. Imagine paying a buck/liter up in NWT and Yukon...:eek:

13. Well it's obvious isn't it?

We all have to start drinking gas! :D

Mike :p

Who else thought this thread was going to be about buying gear? :oops:

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

It's been flirting with $2.10-2.30 lately, at least up here in Ojai.

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Winner. this thread is done.

16. Well we pay around $1.25 per litre over here in Blighty, which is around $5.60 per gallon!

17. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I thought thats what it'd be about too....until I saw who the author of the thread was. Then, knowing it was mechanic Mike, thought better of my original assumption :D

18. Turbo Diesel's are great fun. My Peugeot - French, so probably not a make you're likely to see in the US any time soon :) returns around 48mpg! It may not rev as high as something with a thirsty great 6 or 8 cylinder lump, but it has more torque than most cylinder engines and has power exactly where you need it - 30mph up to 80mph.

Modern BMWs and VWs get 150bph out of a 2 litre TurboDiesel and disgusting amounts of torque.

Me likes a lot :D

19. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Super is around 1.879 here (why do they still use the 9/10? is it that important?)

20. its $1.57 here in houston....