Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GAS Relief!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wademeister63, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Well I went to the guitar show today and of course I HAD to buy something. I'd been wanting a good four stringer almost since I got my current 5er so finally I got some satisfaction. I guess this thing is a bit on the rare side from what I've read so far which is pretty cool to me, especially since my 5 string is an ultra common Ibanez BTB405 (bought from Bluemonk in as new condition, Thanks!) The new-to-me 4 is an ugly trans green and not real well done looking finish but I love this bass! It's a G&L SB-2, 1982 model. I looked at hundreds of basses but this one had "the feel" when I picked it up. Somehow it feels way more solid than most basses I've checked out. Felt growly when I played it unplugged and I think the amplified sound is very very nice with a good range of tones from either or both pickups. It also slaps nicely for me which is a first. I haven't been playing bass all that long and haven't learned to slap n pop well yet but this bass seems great for that too.

When I got it home I did some head to head comparisons between the two and decided I really like them both. A lot. I don't feel like I want another bass anymore which is a great feeling!

I think I got a great bass for my 300 bucks, check it out and tell me what you think!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    I saw that one, its pretty cool. If it had been a fretless I probably would have bought it at that price myself.

3. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    I played a G&L SB-1, which looks to be the P version of that bass, I liked it alot, I thought it was a steal at $300

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Good deal!

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Own an SB-1. These things would be a steal at $600. Fortunately, they go for about half that. Which is very much cool for us buyers. If I need another fretted anytime soon, it'd probably be another older G&L.