1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GAS Relief!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wademeister63, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Well I went to the guitar show today and of course I HAD to buy something. I'd been wanting a good four stringer almost since I got my current 5er so finally I got some satisfaction. I guess this thing is a bit on the rare side from what I've read so far which is pretty cool to me, especially since my 5 string is an ultra common Ibanez BTB405 (bought from Bluemonk in as new condition, Thanks!) The new-to-me 4 is an ugly trans green and not real well done looking finish but I love this bass! It's a G&L SB-2, 1982 model. I looked at hundreds of basses but this one had "the feel" when I picked it up. Somehow it feels way more solid than most basses I've checked out. Felt growly when I played it unplugged and I think the amplified sound is very very nice with a good range of tones from either or both pickups. It also slaps nicely for me which is a first. I haven't been playing bass all that long and haven't learned to slap n pop well yet but this bass seems great for that too.

When I got it home I did some head to head comparisons between the two and decided I really like them both. A lot. I don't feel like I want another bass anymore which is a great feeling!

I think I got a great bass for my 300 bucks, check it out and tell me what you think!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    I saw that one, its pretty cool. If it had been a fretless I probably would have bought it at that price myself.

3. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    I played a G&L SB-1, which looks to be the P version of that bass, I liked it alot, I thought it was a steal at $300

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Good deal!

5. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Own an SB-1. These things would be a steal at $600. Fortunately, they go for about half that. Which is very much cool for us buyers. If I need another fretted anytime soon, it'd probably be another older G&L.