Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GAS returns - Sting Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoeRules00, Jun 19, 2002.

1. I made a trip to Mars today, and they switched about their bass section (and got rid of the fretless cort curbow! grr!) but they moved several basses which used to be way up high down low. One of which was the Sting Bass. I passed it over for a Standard Jazz at first, which I was mildly impressed with. Seems like all in all, quite I good bass.

Then I laid my hands on the Sting Bass. *cue harmonious choir*

Such a beautiful sound. I didn't like the Open E when the tone was up (I guess it sounded muddy, the best way to describe it would be that it was only half there, I suppose) but the slap tone.... I nearly defecated in my trousers (the nice way of putting it :) ) when I slapped on this baby.

JoeRules Sting Bass Fund:$13 and counting!

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think Fender is going to start making the same bass, only it wont be the Sting sig. Has anyone else heard this? If so, can you confirm or deny this?

3. Does that mean it'd be cheaper? ;)

4. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah, thats what I was getting at. But, like I said Im not positve about this.

5. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
  6. I think it is the 52 RI. Or maybe it was the telebass RI. I dunno for sure, but I've seen 'em around.

7. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Why isnt this bass frettless? Didnt Sting use fretless primarily for many years?

8. Ben_P

Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    I hate the bridge though.

9. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    The bridge is horrible, but changing it is pretty easy. The American Deluxe bridge drops right in, uses the same screw holes and the strings feed through from the back like the original. You can get them for around $60 from Smart Parts or the Bass Place. It fit my Sting perfectly and made intonation and height adjustment much better. Unfortunately, the body contours aren't comfy enough for me and my Sting has to buzz off.
    Brad

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The "Sting" is nothing but the current Fender Japan '54 Reissue Precision, with that stupid inlay put in for export to the US as part of Fender's "Artist Series."

You want a "Stingless" Sting, you can get them from Ishibashi, though it will cost more than getting one here by the time it arrives. I got a new Sting from Musician's Friend for $449.99, delivered. They were on sale in March, but were out of stock until August. Mine's a beautiful bass, and probably worth the wait. I've resigned myself to that dumb inlay and made my peace with it.

For other comments on the Sting, do a search on my name and you'll find a couple of more lengthy posts about the Sting and its characteristics.

11. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    In fairness, it's horrible because that's what the originals were like.

The worst problem is that the originals were designed for gigantic strings, like a .128" E, which made the intonation start with the saddles much farther back than with modern strings. The problem now is that there's not enough bridge plate to intonate with most smaller strings without running the saddles off the bridgeplate and onto the wood. You can see the problem here. The Sting won't even intonate with the crummy generic strings that come with the bass. It's hard to see in the picture, but the saddle screws are on the very edge of the plate, sticking out in front of the saddle.

Dude Barr told me about using the Deluxe bridgeplate, but I figure it's incumbent on me to use the original bridge if I get a reissue. I've just about got it where I want it with 9050Ms.

The old school bridge adjustment relies on a lot of creative bending of the two length-adjustment screws, something I haven't gotten around to yet. I want to get some extras that are about 1/4" longer first.

12. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I usually like to keep everything as original as possible, but I couldn't stand not being able to individually intonate the strings. The fact that it dropped in with no extra holes convinced me, and other than the black screws, it looked good. As far as the Japan RI vs the Sting, isn't the RI a '52 with the flat body and no forearm contour? I think the edge radius is much smaller on the '52 RI, while it's pretty rounded on the Sting.

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The old-time way to do this is to bend the adjustment screw so that the saddle is twisted sideways at an angle.

Jive way to do something, but that's how they used to do it in the old days and it still works.

No, you are confusing two different basses, both in production in Japan.

There is the '51 Reissue and the '54 Reissue.

There's some confusion, because there are '51RIs that have an optional, historically-inaccurate two-tone sunburst finish, instead of the usual less-incorrect butterscotch finish (the vintage color was actually a "limed" white when new, similar to current blonde finishes, but yellowed rapidly, giving what we know as the vintage butterscotch after just a few years). That two-tone finish didn't come along until 1954, which is why calling the Sting a '53 reissue is also incorrect. FJ markets the '54RI, which is identical to the Sting, minus the hated inlay.

14. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I've noted the same thing about the E string, like the note is half there and not very bass-like.

Might this be because of the odd bridge design or because of the single-coil p'up?

15. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I doubt it's the bridge design.

I suspect it may be a setup problem, or a fault in the individual pickup, or a string thing (because almost no Fender strings will work on the Sting, they come with some really horrible generic stainless steel roundwounds). Most people I know who have this bass use flats on it, and I don't think I've heard this complaint from them.

There are a bunch of experienced gearhead people who are fanatical about the single-coil Precision Bass pickup for recording and I've never heard of any real beef against the particular one that is on the current Sting.

There are some interesting aspects to using the single-pole design that may account for some funny sounds if the setup isn't right.

16. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I'm not having any luck finding this "American Deluxe" bridge anyplace on the internet where I can order it.

Help, please?

17. Yeah, the Music Loft store that's close to my home has a Sting bass...I'm not that impressed by it. Lot of fret buzz on the first couple frets that, while it doesn't go through to the amp, really, REALLY annoys me.