Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GAS - Roscoe LG-3000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DigMe, Oct 31, 2002.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Today I went to Bass Emporium in Austin and now I have GAS that I'm quite sure won't be dissipated any time soon.

The LG-3000 in question had a spalted maple top that looked like it had some burl in it. The fingerboard was spalted purpelheart which was just beautiful. Nice craftsmanship all around. The bass was nice and light too. The tag said LG-3005 but I believe that was a mistake as this was a 4 string. Really beautiful bass and then I plugged it in and played it.

It played like a dream. Real smooth, fast and easy. Sounded great too. Very defined up and down the fingerboard with deep lows and crystal highs that had good thickness. I was playing through an EBS 350 head and an Aguilar GS410 cab. I want this bass!!

I also played an MTD Saratoga (very thin highs), MTD Kingston Fretless (nice), Lakland SKyline J bass(dissappointing), Lakland Skyline P bass (not bad - and I'm a J man!), and Zon Sonus Custom V (very nice). The Roscoe took the cake though. How will I ever get rid of this GAS. I have no money and my debt is too deep. :(

brad cook

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Go for it. I have a nice 5 and have had two others including a fretless. They have the coolest tone and are easy to play

Rob

3. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    If you liked it at the store, you'll even love it more when you take it home! I would make sure that it had the 3-band Bart EQ system installed. You can get any sound you can dream of with that pre-amp. I have one fretted LG-3005 (my second) and my fretless SKB-3005 should be finished any time. They are great basses! Start saving your pennies and if you really like that particular bass get together enough money to put it on lay-away. You won't regret it!:)

4. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I agree, the 3 band eq is the way to go on these basses. Save up and take it home!

Rob

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Is that the NTMB? That's what I currently have in my Fodera NYC Empire. It IS a great pre.

I definitely can't buy this bass now...not even on layaway. I've been unemployed since June and have only started substitute teaching this week and my credit card debt is already piled way too high. I can only wish. I doubt it will be there that long because it's a beautiful, great-sounding bass.

brad cook

6. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

It's a Bartolini with master volume, pan, mid, and a stacked bass and treble. I don't know what the initials stand for, sorry:)

Rob

7. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Digme,
    That is the NTMB preamp. It's by far my favorite bass preamp! Just hang in there for now. Spend the time waiting for the funds deciding exactly what configuration of a Roscoe you really want. That way when the time comes that you can purchase one, you'll know exactly what you want. I always appreciate a bass more when I have to wait and work hard to get it! I've had GAS for the Roscoe fretless for about 3 years! Hey, but it's paid for now and will be here any day (week?)!;)

8. Dig,
    The upgrade EQ on the Roscoe is like a 4-band, with a push-pull midrange where you can boost/cut the mids at 2 different frequencies (in addition to the standard treble and bass tweaks)

Do you have a bass that you can liquidate? Is it just the Fodera? If you sold the Fodera you could get 2 or 3 Roscoes!!

What I did to afford a new Roscoe (expected in 2 weeks!!) is to take on an extra freelance job that I do in the cracks of my schedule. It pays only $100/month but that's enough to make some respectable installments on my credit card. I'll have the thing half paid-off before it even arrives.

Other than that there's blood banks, clothing drives, bake sales, collecting aluminum cans from dumpsters, mowing lawns, washing cars, etc.

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You could always sell your soul to Satan. After all, it IS a Roscoe!:D

10. NO! Rule that one out!! We'll take up a collection here on TB before we do THAT!

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Sorry, John. "Charity starts at home." He's on his own on this one!

12. Dig,
    Go to ebay right now. There are 2 LG-3000's for sale. That could whittle some coin off the price tag...and lessen the blow.

Okay, think of it this way. You get the Roscoe, get more gigs because of it, and help out your employment situation.

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Thanks for all the info and suggestions.

Zon4John,

I do have one bass I can liquidate. It is a Fodera but it wouldn't pay for the Roscoe. It's not a Monarch or Imperial or anything. IT's the Fodera NYC Empire 4 string which is like Fodera's Jazz bass. It only retails for around 2 grand. I'd like to keep it but if I COULD sell it and get that Roscoe I think I would. I need a lighter bass.

Those 2 LG-3000's on Ebay aren't as nice looking. :) I'm not about to buy those though because as I said...my credit card debt is massive right now thanks to 4 months of unemployment and the substitute teaching that I'm starting to do now will just barely pay the bills. Oh, and the biggest factor - if I bought a new bass before I bought my girlfriend an engagement ring she wouldn't forgive me. :eek: I barely got away with buying a new bass head when I got back from overseas and I didn't even have one of those to begin with. If I bought another bass when I already have a perfectly fine one....I don't even wanna think about it... :)

brad cook

14. Good point, don't tick off the fiance!:eek:

Well.....Anyone care for a Fodera?.......

15. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Digme,
    There is another option, just wait till you get to heaven! There will be plenty of Roscoe's there because that's the only bass that God endorses!:D

16. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    That's right. And as everybody knows, Ol' Scratch plays a Fodera! :p

17. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    And out of tune no doubt!:eek: :p :D

18. Basso Profoundo

Basso Profoundo Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Indiana
    I just picked up one of the two mentioned on E-bay, it's a beauty. Burl myrtl baby

19. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Nice looking bass Basso! I'm sure you're going to love it! Congrats!:)

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm jealous

brad cook