1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GAS - shoulda never picked it up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by whitespike, Apr 25, 2009.

1. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Yesterday, the wife and I were in Best Buy. I didn't know they had expanded and gotten a music store inside, so my love went off to do her thing and I hung out in the music section, of course.

I asked to play a Jazz bass. I thought it was some sort of MIJ 60s reissue, probably bc of the sunburst/tort combo. It turned out to be an American Standard.

Boy these have improved since almost ten years ago when I worked in music retail. The neck seems even thinner than they used to be, and believe it or not, I have never played a bass with maple fingerboard.

I loved it. Damn.

I had two Jazz basses in the past. A MIJ I never bonded with, and a HORRIBLE MIA 62 reissue lemon. I kind of swore them off. I'd never played one I liked. Now that thin neck is haunting my dreams.

But, it's universal appeal bothers me somewhat. It makes the Jazz tone a bit "generic" doesn't it? I mean, I have prided myself for years on having unique tone. My Ric has flats and stays muted. Quite lovely and distinctive.

Sorry just rambling.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    They are nice, but did you know you posted in the amps section?

3. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    Yeah but a good jazz has a certain woody tone that's hard to get with just any bass.

Set up right, they play so easy.

If you find a bass that speaks to you, that's part of the magic of finding a good one.

4. What was the "BEST BUY" price on that unit?

5. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Oh Gosh, sorry this in the wrong section!!! They had 1200 on it, but said they could do better .... maybe $1000? Not bad really, for a nice American Jazz.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    These days, a thousand bucks is a bargain.

7. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    If you think the American Standard has a thin neck whatever you do DO NOT PICK UP A GEDDY LEE...

You will think you died. I made that mistake a week after buying my American Deluxe and have since spent about $1000 to get it to play as nice as that Geddy right off the shelf.

Wonder how long before this gets scooted off to BASSLAND?

BOB

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Stick with the Rick! ;)