1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GAS!!! Which would you purchase??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JACink, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Yamaha TRBX 305 - White

6.8%
  2. Yamaha TRBX 305 - Mist Green

8.9%
  3. Yamaha TRBX 305 - Candy Apple Red

2.6%
  4. Yamaha TRBX 505 - Translucid Brown

13.1%
  5. Squier VM Presicion Bass V - Candy Apple Red

23.6%
  6. Squier VM Jaguar V - Candy Apple Red

10.5%
  7. Carrots - Assorted Colors

34.6%
  1. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    The good news is that my GAS for a P Bass has receded, unfortunately it has been overpowered by a very strong GAS for a 5er!!

I have a hip-hop project coming up, and I kept telling myself that I didn´t need a five, and still don´t, but now I want one!! I even have my other half convinced ;)

Of the instruments I listed, I am leaning more towards the TRBX 305 in white, as I think it looks modern but also elegant (although my wife prefers the red, due to the fact that "You already have a White one!!" :rollno:).

I have thought about the TRBX 505, due to it having the mid EQ and an active/passive switch, but I already have 4 passive basses that would cover the passive tone when needed, and I think the 5 preset EQ's would come in handy on stage in a hip hop concert.

Anyways, please share your opinions!! :bassist:

Yamaha TRBX 305 - White
    [​IMG]

Yamaha TRBX 305 - Mist Green
    [​IMG]

Yamaha TRBX 305 - Candy Apple Red
    [​IMG]

Yamaha TRBX 505 - Translucent Brown
    [​IMG]

Squier Vintage Modified Precision 5 - Candy Apple Red
    [​IMG]

Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar V - Trans Red
    [​IMG]

Carrots - Assorted Colors
    Roasted-Rainbow-Carrots-Marla-Meridith-Photography-IMG_0306.

2. I would like to point out that the Squier VM Jag V is not CAR. It's Trans Red.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Voted for the Jag. Seems like something that would be different, and yet not.

4. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Sorry! I have fixed it in my post, but can't fix it in the poll.

5. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    If I didn't already have the JAG 4 string, I would probably also be more inclined towards it.

6. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Yamaha & Grosbeak. I’m Marc!

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    Love Yamaha, but Squier P5 all the way for me. Love the Fender P5, been hearing many good things about the Squier, and the deep bass should be great for hip hop.

7. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Mint green whatever for the win.

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    The Yamaha has an interesting EQ circuit:TRBX300 models feature an exclusive Perfomance EQ active circuit with five performance-tuned full spectrum EQ curves optimized to give instant access to essential sounds along with powerful 2-band master equalization(Bass/Treble) to shape and define your tone. It also comes with Master Volume and pickup Balance controls.

The Performance EQ is a 5 way switch with 5 EQ presets: SLAP, PICK, FLAT, FINGER and SOLO. If you needs lots of tone variations, maybe go with this. It also has 24 frets. Youtube demo:

If you want a P tone, go with the P.

The Jag P/J may be the way to go if want a variety of tones without the presets: Features include a sleek offset-waist body, slim fast-action maple neck with “modern C” profile, 9.5”-radius rosewood fingerboard with 20 medium jumbo frets, booming Fender-designed split single-coil Precision Bass V middle pickup and growling Fender-designed single-coil Jazz Bass V bridge pickup, active bass-boost circuit for extra low-end power, three-ply black pickguard and four black plastic control knobs (middle pickup volume, bridge pickup volume, master tone, active bass boost circuit), vintage-style five-string bridge with five single-groove saddles, and vintage-style tuners

Maybe the "Bass Boost" tone circuit is just what you need for hip-hop.

What kind of rig will you be using with it?

9. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Depends on the location, but mainly through PA. I have a GK MB112 that I can mic, and also DI.

I am also planning on adding a Zoom B3 to the equation.

Currently I have a passive Jaguar PJ (strung EADG) and an active (strung BEAD) PJ that I am replacing the pups and pre on, but if I get a 5 I will probably put the pups on hold.

I also have a passive P, a J and a FL J, which gives me plenty of passive tone options if needed.

I am thinking that the 5 preset EQ´s, with the B3, will give me plenty of quick options, as I also do vocals on a lot of tracks, so the less I need to think about the bass, the better!

10. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    If you want the P sound, go with the P5. I voted the the Mist Green Yamaha.

11. m1ghty GIR

m1ghty GIR

Jun 24, 2013
    Spain
    Why not get one of those SUB rays?

12. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

I'm not familiar with these instruments, so based solely on looks, I went with the Jaguar.

13. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks for all the input guys, and the votes!

It seems that Squier is beating Yamaha by quite some distance!!

@m1ghty GIR: I did think about one of the SUB´s a while back, but to be truthful I prefer the Squier P5.

I think the final decision will be between the TRBX 305 in white and the Squier P5 in CAR.

14. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    translucid brown sounds interesting? I think Yamaha's have more going for them

15. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    A question for all you electronic experts...

Will it be possible to mod the 5 eq parameters of the 305 at a later date if I find that the is 1 (or more) that I don´t like?

My guess is that there are some filters (caps and ressistors etc) inside, and that I could modify these to another eq of my preference.

Just a thought.

16. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    If it's circuit board, probably not. Maybe contact the factory or a local dealer.

17. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    So, I have been given the list of songs for this project, and only one track actually has any notes below the E.

As much as I would like to get a 5er now, I think that I will use the cash on other things for the time being, and keep an eye out for when these become available used!

Thanks guys for all your input, and I am going to follow the advice of all those that voted...

I´m off to buy some carrots!!!

18. zkmobass

zkmobass

Aug 20, 2011
    With a 5 string bass, it's not really how many notes you gain but how useful it is to have lower root notes higher up the neck. For instance, songs that have long slides up the neck (example - The Eagles "One of These Nights") or runs that go up by 2 (or more) octaves. The fifth string helps you utilize less arm motion and lets your fingers do more of the walking.

The fifth string also serves as a dandy thumb rest on songs that don't require a lot of arm motion.

19. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

GAS? All of them, especially the carrots.

20. ukulelelab

ukulelelab

Apr 14, 2013
    I love carrots