1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gaskets On Neck Plate

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SurferJoe46, Oct 30, 2010.

1. I've wondered about this for a short while, and there doesn't seem to be any great reason for them as far as I can see.

Bragging rights?
    Tonal changes?
    Sustain changes?
    Clarity?
    No dead strings/notes?

They seem to be on a few of the upper-end Fenders >>> just wondering.

2. I don't think they do anything other than add a little relief so the neck plate doesn't make a big impression on the back of your bass over time. Even my Hondo Precision copy has one, so it's not just a higher-end Fender thing.

Somehow I doubt they affect sustain or anything to any noticeable degree. Probably as much as putting a sticker on your bass (I have seen hilarious arguments about this though...so who knows).

What I really believe their purpose to be is that they make you play three times faster.

3. frianbisher

frianbisher

Dec 28, 2007
    Milwaukee WI
    These unique gaskets are made by the Umbagumba Tribe of South Amazonia. They are made of the tails of the Brazillian Catfish, and are said to promote a general sense of wellbeing.

4. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I think it is for cosmetic reasons. It keeps the neck plate from scratching the finish and the paint from cracking around the plate when it settles into the body.

Its not just the high end Fenders. Most all Epiphones have them, My 90's Epi has the rubber gasket and it looks nice around it, my 2008 Epi doesn't and the paint has cracked around it from being taken off a few times.

5. TGLbass

TGLbass

Aug 20, 2010
    Without a doubt this is true--except they now use a dioscilator to mfg. them. It cuts down on the mess.:hyper:

6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Not a builder but I think its to keep the plate from digging into the paint job.

Rob

7. Seems to be the consensus, and now that the secret's out - I bet that tribe gets a lot more work making them and selling gaskets to people who think they need them.

Strange thinking though.

I've got a couple of basses that look like they installed the pickguards before the finish had completely cured.

I can see that the clear urethane is pushed away from under the screw pressure and around the edges when the PG ends and the finish is sky'd out.

No biggie - just interesting.

8. TGLbass

TGLbass

Aug 20, 2010
    Some people think that if you tighten the neck screws extemely tight so that they pop thru the fretboard it's good. But not. So we have gaskets to help deal with these people and for keeping the plate from leaving a pattern in the wood which is somewhat normal. It's also cool. NEXT!

9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Builders who arent in it for mass production tend to not have these type of problems. Ill fitting pickguards, crappy paint jobs, etc. They are also the type of builders who tend to use gaskets for the plates, felts between the peg holders and the bodies, etc. They also let their finishes dry before further work when building. U get what u pay for

Rob

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Not any more, 3 years ago they moved the plant offshore to The People's Overly Optimistic Republic of Ragistan.

11. TGLbass

TGLbass

Aug 20, 2010
    Oh- I'm sorry to hear that. Those gaskets were so cool. Oh..... you didn't say they stopped production. My mistake. I feel better now. You know.... I had spagetti once.