Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gas'n bad...help me pick a new rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by relayer66, Aug 7, 2005.

1. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    I'm looking at a new rig so I can retire my venerable old SM-400/Goliath. This is one of the original ones with the Eden-made cab, got it new in '89. The rig has served me well and has been everything I could ask. Except portable. I'm getting too old to be lugging that 100lb cabinet around, not to mention it won't even fit in my car.
    So I'm looking for something powerful, lightweight, and small. I'm into the hi-fi/clean variety of amps myself. My 3 most likely options are:

1. Epifani UL-502 with a UL-210 cab

2. Thunderfunk TBF550 with an Accugroove Tri 112L

3. EA iAmp 800 with an EA NL-210

I am even considering the Epi 210 combo...500 watts with a one-hand carry? Sounds too good to be true.

I know you can all help me decide...

2. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Option 2 sounds like a winning combination to me.

3. I would definitely go with the T-Funk and Accugroove.....you may want to try a TRI210 before you buy the 112..........both are GREAT cabs but there is quite a bit more meat to the 210 and you are not giving up that much weight between the 2....the 210 is surprisingly easy to move around....the T-Funk.....forget about it!!......BEST amp out there for the size, sound, and money PERIOD......Dave Funk is my hero!!! You can get a T-Funk Accugroove combo direct from Dave at Thunderfunk and save a few bucks......Good Luck in the Quest.....

Peace,

T

4. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    I only have experience of the Epifani out of your choices, but I highly recommend it. Clear and airy tone. Both amp and cab are a breeze to move around and are very light.
    I have the 502 / UL310 set up

Cheers
    Oz

5. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    Thanks for the replies. One of the reasons I am looking at the Epi gear is that it is so light. Not to mention...so pretty... :)
    Still the T-Funk seems to be a favorite on these forums, and coming from an SM-400 I'm sure it would feel familiar (both are based on the old AMP).
    As far as the Accugroove cabs, the 210 is 57lbs compared to the 112's 38lbs. Portability and light weight is key here, or I could just stick to my old Goliath and be happy.
    So is 57lbs a one man carry? Hard to judge on paper. I'd have to try picking it up and seeing if it would fit in my car.
    Forgot to mention, I live about 15 miles from Vernon Hills. Does Dave Funk allow visitors to his shop?
    Does anyone know how the T-Funk head would sound with the Epi 210UL cab?

6. You can also look into the Mesa Walabout Scout its 300 Watts with a 2 12 enclosure

OR a M-pulse venture 600 watts with a 2-12 or 1-15 enclosure

7. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Eden WT 500

CWA 12" cab or AG Tri112 or Tri210l or Bergantino 12" cab

Lots of great choices out there...

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    My two votes:
    Same cab: schroeder that suits your needs. I have both a 410 and a 1210...decide on how much cab you need. Schroeders are smaller and ligher than others of "equal projection" and have an on stage mix cutting presence that can't be beat in my experience.
    Amps: TFB's are flippin' awesome. I have one of the last 420's and I dig it lots. The other recent contender (which I also own) is the eden wt800b. Now that it's putting out ~1100 watts bridged into 4 ohms it's a serious high power, high function, high end killer. Simlarly priced to the TFB550. One recent development with the TFB line is that Dave *will* take trad ins, and seems to give pretty fair market value on them...

Happy shopping-chef

9. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    it's behind door no 2!!

10. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I'll be the first one to step up and recommend the Iamp800 and NL210 combo.
    I'm a big fan of the light weight, portable and potent Iamp 800. I replaced my big pre/power set up with one and have been very, very pleased! No regrets at all. Tone, power and flexibility for days and 19lbs in a shoulder bag.
    EA cabs; everything that you've read is true. They provide accurate transparent tone, are super efficient and talk about bomb proof construction. What you put in is what you get out, only seriously louder! I'll never own carpet covered cabs again. The coating on the EA cabs seems indestructible.
    I personally love the CXL112 cabs that I own. I haven't had the pleasure of trying the NL210 but there are plenty of favorable reviews here on TB. I can't imagine you could go wrong with this set up.
    The best part would be, if you ever needed more volume, you could always throw a CXL112 under the NL210 and drive them without a problem with the Iamp! Two EA cabs driven by the Iamp800 is a light, modular rig that is rediculously loud!
    I don't think you can go wrong with any of the rigs you mentioned. I just happen to love and own EA gear.
    Good luck!

11. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Option 2 for sure, no question....

12. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    Well I think I've pretty much made up my mind. No doubt all 3 options I originally gave are all fine set-ups.
    I'm going to go with a TFB-550 and a Schroeder 1210. How's that? Anyone have experience with this combination?
    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I'll post pics when I get it all (looking at around 6-8 weeks to save the dough).

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I own and gig a TFB420, and a Schroeder 1210...
    I often use them together;)

It's a hella-fine combination, and you will not be disappointed. This is my primary rig of choice right now, though I did swap the TFB for my eden wt800B last night for a room I felt like I was gonna need some extra "oomph" in...I had the wt800b input at 5, master at 3...The TFB420 would have been fine no doubt, and the extra headroom provided by the newer 550 model would be even more of an equalizer.

I doubt you're going to find anyone who actually onws and works the TFB550/1210 combination to say one bad word about it. KJung is another staunch believer. PM him if he doesn't chime in.

Do it, you will not regret it.