Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

*gasp* i must make my decision...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by g00eY, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Ibanez SRX700

8 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. Fender American Jazz (used/new)

73 vote(s)
    74.5%
  3. other

17 vote(s)
    17.3%
  1. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    ok, i have like two days to pick a bass and buy one. i can't believe how hard it is for me to choose a bass that a really like in my price range. right now i'm looking at an Ibanez SRX700 and a Fender American Jazz(used/new). my price range is hopefully gonna be under $500 with some bargaining. i like the Ibanez for the feel, the look, and i guess the value(kinda), and i like the Fender cuz i can trust the Fender name, it feels great, and they are well made. does anyone have any input on these two basses? or even other basses i should try out before i purchase one?

2. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

3. Fender.. what else is there to say ?

4. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    The SR's nd Fender Jazz are like two different ends of the spectrum. SRs are great basses, especially the 5 string I have, I'd definitly opt for the higher quality models in the SR line, but they are good. Active electronics, thin neck, sleek design. Now Jazz basses, are (I believe), passive. Great fender sound but a different sound all together. Try both out and see what you like most. I'd say SR, but maybe I'm partial because its my main bass at the moment.

5. Does resale value have any bearing on your decision? If so, Fender American jazz - no brainer. I own an American Jazz, and been looking recently at the SRX700 mainly due to Carol Kaye playing one. I might pick up an SRX700 and string it with TI flats like Carol.

I'd never trade the American jazz for the SRX 700. YMMV

:bassist:

6. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Be careful about trusting a "name". Fender has made their share of poo in the long history of the company. Play every one you find in your price range and pick the one that speaks to you.

That being said, I voted for the Jazz, maybe because I've been GASsing for one lately (haven't owned a Fender in about 15 years). Hmmm. Black with a tort guard and rosewood board. Sexy. :bassist:

7. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Yamaha BB414 in Metalic Orange. My next bass...

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    good bass.

9. Play them both with your eyes closed to really listen and concentrate !!!Then decide !! Best suggestion I can make. Nice problem to have....

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Use the force!

Sorry, it was there! :bag:

11. RoVaughn

RoVaughn

Oct 8, 2005
    I used to own an srx 705 I didnt like it. The Tone didnt cut well and It kept going out of tune. I ended up replacing it with an MIA Jazz Deluxe V. My Fender is A pro Quality bass The tone ability to cut through a mix, Construction and everything else was in my opinion WAY better than the SRX705. That being said you really have to try them both to see what gets you YOUR sound. For me it was the Fender Jazz.

Good Luck

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I'd take the Fender because the Ibanez has an equal chance of being a dog. Korean basses have come a long way, but they're still Korean basses.

Also, the Fender would be easier to upgrade if you wanted to change pickups or the bridge.

Just something to consider.

13. Fender all the way baby... Ive got a 91-92' MIJ 75 Jazz Bass Reissue, santa droped off early this past weekend. :hyper: I love it, its got that classic jazz/marcus millerish tone... serious mojo here. :bassist:

14. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    thanks for the replies! keep em coming!

i know i like Fenders, the problem is that there are so many :cool: .

15. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I vote Geddy Jazz, actually. Save some money and get madd phat tone and playability.

16. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    bump before i go and buy :bassist: .

17. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    The Fender American Jazz. I had an MIM V Deluxe that I wish I had back if only for the tone; best sounding bass I've ever owned.

18. I'd say Fender American Jazz but......

A new Fender American Jazz is what...$1k or so? I recently received a quote from www.BPMmusic.com for about half that on the Ibanez SRX700, less case. AND they say they'll do a full setup before shipping.

Doesn't help does it? :bag: