1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gassin for a good 6 - 10" (4 -12")

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rickett Customs, Mar 11, 2008.

1. 8-10"

9 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. 3-10" and 3-12"

11 vote(s)
    39.3%
  3. Nope, I've got a better Idea (carrots)

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Ok, also looking for lighter weight (NEO Drivers) right now I have one amp that monos @900watts and also a mackie 1400i.
    I've found a few, but any one a/b any of these?

1)Epifani UL610, Me likey the weight on this one (82lbs) and the power handling is good too.

2)Bergantino NV610 (although the RMS wattage rating is a bit low)

3)SWR Goliath sr

4)Genz Benz GB 610T-XB2 (quite on the heavier side though, definitely don't want to be any heavier than this, less if possible)

5)Gallien-Krueger Neo 412 (this one is 118lbs, looks better every time i see it.)

6) Or I will build my own w/ neo eminence drivers and use "flight case material" to build it like a case with a detachable front cover, estimated it out already, between $850-$950.

I may consider a lightweight 8 10" if I can fit it in my car (unsure about that though, I have a Volkswagen GTI)

2. go for the GK neo 412

3. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    I think I've narrowed it down to:

610 Epifani
    [​IMG]

And......

GK neo412
    [​IMG]

Any other suggestions?

4. wow umm.. either of those will be REALLY good man.. All i can suggest to you is to try both out if you can.

I cannot imagine you being disatissfied with either of those cabs man.

5. 2Loud4You

2Loud4You

Jan 18, 2008
    Norcross, GA
    I was gassin for a 6/10 as well. That's why I'm buying Big Mike W's Genz Benz 6/10, can't wait to get it.

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The Perfect Bass has a used GK in. Don't know what the price on the Epi is, but if you can find the GK local to try-out, might be worth taking a look at.

edit: I just looked up the price on the Epi at MF. That used GK is about half the price! And no, I'm not affiliated with TPB, just like perusing their site!

7. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    The Epi is more expensive (for sure)

According to Musicians Friend:

Epi=$1,499

GK=$999

8. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement Supporting Member

I had an SWR Goliath SR. for about 5 years and it was a truly amazing cab. If I hadn't had to sell it due to vehicle size constarints, I would have had it for the LAST 5 years as well. it was not what one would consider light at 115 pounds, but I always managed to shlep it with not many problems. That cab sounded fantastic in any any size club or any size hall and never missed a beat even if I had to do outside gigs. Where on more than one occasion it wasn't miked and kept up with the rest of the band and the PA no problem. All I can say is go and try as many cabs on your list as you can with your bass and preferably your amp and see how you like them.
    )-(

9. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    I will consider the Schroeder 310212 as well.

[​IMG]

10. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Consider the SWR as well. Goliath Sr. IV just came out. Not super light though

11. Jeremy5000

Jeremy5000

Feb 25, 2008
    I'm considering an Aguilar 412. Same ballpark as you're talking about here.

12. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    I'm throwing another into the ring:
    The Hartke hydrive.

13. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Went out and played the Megoliath and goliath sr,Aguilar 412 and the GK neo 412, Using My Spector and a few different heads, Ampeg svt8 pro (non Vietnam version), Mesa bigblock 750 (didn't like the OD on that BTW), SWR working pro 700 and My SWR mo' bass. I have not located the Epi or a Schroeder. Also tried an Ampeg svt 810, was nice but the heaviness turned me away (165lbs). I did like the overall sounds from all of the cabs that I participated with.

My view as I witnessed it (IMO)
    Megoliath: Nice, flexible as far as running mono or stereo w/ my Mo' bass..... Didn't seem to move as much air as the rest, carpet covering seemed sort of a "cheaper" appearance, heavy (154lbs).
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Goliath sr: For some reason, this was pretty good for a 610 had some punch (Although, I wondered, are the same drivers in this as in the Mego?) I dig the horn attenuators on the SWR's....Didn't like the carpet (as above).
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ampeg svt810e: Had more low end response than the Mego (close to the 412's), non carpet cover, used stereo or mono.....weight alone disqualified this for me (165lbs), low rms power handling.
    Aguilar: Low end was very nice, Lightest of the 412's 116lbs....Didn't care for the carpet (as you can tell, carpet is not my preference), Didn't care for the horn (maybe its the freq its crossed over at) although the attenuator could kill that. Overall one of the 2 to beat, sound wise.
    GK neo: Another nice low end, especially for the low B, liked the non carpet covering,nice horn attenuator, had what seemed like a nicer built grille, nice weight 118lbs........Didn't care for the plastic corners.Overall the other to beat.

If those were the only ones to pick from, I'd take the GK or the Aguilar.(IMO)

I'm leaning towards the Hartke hydrive 810 at this point, although it's Sight-unseen at this point, I've heard really good things about this one.

/Jason

14. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
  15. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Me likey that visual, but where to order?
    I really am still caught up with the 310212 lite. But for some reason, it's not displayed on the site, and cannot seem to find a way to custom order one either, i think the site may be muffed up.

16. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Alright,
    So i've communicated with Jorg from Schroeder.
    I'm looking down the barrel of 2 custom cabs.

1) 8-10"

2)3-10" 3-12"

Which one should I do?

17. Both sound interesting but since they are custom nobody is going to know exactly what they will sound like. The one with 10's and 12's sounds interesting though. How is it going to be set up? 10's forward and the 12's behind and angled or something? Make sure it is going to fit in your car.

I'd probably just get the Aggie 4x12, but that is me.

18. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Yeah, that's what Jorg expressed he would angle the 12's with the 310312.

19. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Flipped a coin, looks like the 310312 cab for me.

20. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    That thing will kill puppies and small children from 100 yards at full blast. Satisfaction guaranteed.

If I needed a big cab, I wouldn't look at anything else but my old 310212...