1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gassing for a 2X15 for my LMII

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by P-BassPat, Oct 2, 2009.

1. P-BassPat

P-BassPat

Oct 25, 2008
    I am interested in buying a 215 to match with my LMII.
    Given that none of the local stores keep any of these in stock, it is impossible to hear them unless I buy.
    Let's say you would be blindfolded and you would get to hear the following cabs plugged into a LMII:
    - Peavey Tour 215
    - Powerhouse 215
    - Fender Pro 215
    - Markbass 215
    - Berg NV215
    ... would there be a world of difference in terms of sound quality and tone? (I understand that the MB and Berg 215 are sealed and the other ones are ported), but I am just trying to know if it is worth paying the extra dough for the likes of Markbass, Berg or Mesa cabs as opposed to the cheaper Fender or Peavey.
    Thanking you in advance.

2. Laredo

Laredo

Nov 27, 2005
    Upstate, NY
    Go for two light weight, large volume 115s...............They will give you all the sound, more versatility, and be much easier to move around!

Here are my Epifani UL 115s, they also have PS 115s, and the new high end D.I.S.T. 115s. The new Epifunky 115s are great cabinets in a budget price range! ;)

3. P-BassPat

P-BassPat

Oct 25, 2008
    Thanks for your reply, Laredo.
    Which cabs would qualify as ''large volume'' 115s?

4. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I've played the Markbass LM II head into two Markbass 115 compact cabs.......IMHO it sounded "GREAT!"
    I'd suggest your adding them to your list.

5. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I sometimes pay my Markbass into my Berg NV215 annd it never ceases to amaze me - tight, punchy with a nice "tubeness" and plenty of grunt. It gets me compliments despite the fact that I normally run an SVT VR into the Berg. The NV215 is a breeze to move around, although if you had two 115s you would have the option of just taking one cab to small gigs. Of the 215 cabs you have listed I have played the Mesa and the Fender - the Fender was a bit "sloppy" to my ears whiel the Mesa was very heavy and lost out to the Berg in the schlepping stakes. Soundwise, for me, I prefer the Berg over either.

6. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
  7. Laredo

Laredo

Nov 27, 2005
    Upstate, NY
    ..............With generous porting to allow for plenty of air flow. This larger cabinets tend to allow the big booming bass of the 15s to come shining through. All four of the Epifani 115 cabinets are larger volume. There is one for every budget, the Epifunky, PS (Performance), UL (Ultra Light), and the D.I.S.T. with 4/8 Ohm switchability. :D

8. I really wanted a 215 last spring and I had the same problem you had --
    it's virtually impossible to find one 215 at area stores. Don't even think
    about being able to perform head to head comparisons of 215s.

I looked high and low for reviews. I had kind of narrowed down my
    preferences to a Mesa Powerhouse 215 or a Fender 215 Pro. Being
    kind of new, the Fender 215 Pro didn't have much in the way of
    reviews but the couple that I did find only had good things to say about it.

So, when musiciansfriend.com had a 20% off sale with free shipping,
    I jumped at the Fender 215 Pro. The rest is history. I love this thing. I
    have zero regrets.

Everything just sounds sooo good. Dialing in the amp just seems a
    whole lot easier now. It feels like I was fighting my old cab; getting
    the right tone was a challenge. This cab works with me.

IMG_7551s.

9. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    NICE cab!
    Bet it sounds great.
    The new Fender equipment is pretty impressive.