1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GASsing for a Bongo...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ggunn, Aug 14, 2007.

1. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    ... a Bongo 5 HHP. Can anyone give me a report?

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

Amazing feel, totally versatile, and sweet.

3. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Cool. Can you tell me what the piezo buys for you?

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I've got a piezo and I rarely if ever use it. Gives a little extra zing when recording and is worthwhile if you play at low volumes, or do jazzy and or acoustic like stuff. In a R&R setting you'll never know if it's dialed in or not. You WILL know if if it's all piezo cuz it has a hollow kind of sound that lacks definition. That's my take on it anyhow. Don't really think it's worth the extra bucks, but it's nice to know I've got it all. :)

As for the HH Bongo itself, I think it's the greatest bass on the planet as do the majority of other Bongo owners.

Lots of live saphire black Bongo 5 shots on my myspace page below, and the first bass n drums thing on the page is all Bongo. The 2nd vid is with a Bongo.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I love both of my Bongos with piezos. But, I don't use roundwounds with piezos, so YMMV. Way too much squeak for my comfort.

Here's my fretted HHp in the studio direct through my LowEnd True Voice preamp.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~bionicmanmp3s/09 Caged Bird.mp3

I notice the piezo, and like the air that it adds to the tone.