Gassing for a Rob Allen.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chunk-O-Funk, Jul 31, 2005.

1. I started a thread yesterday about a gas problem and not knowing what I want. That understandably fell like a brick. Well, now I am a little more focused and after hearing the one and only sound example on Rob Allens web site I have decided that is my choice. An awesome sounding and looking bass IMO.

I wont ask about Allen vs. Turner vs. Godin, etc.. a quick search fixed that.

What I would like to know is has anyone A/B the fretted vs fretless versions. I consider myself more of a fretted player but I think getting this bass as a fretted would defeat the main sound that this bass produces. What's your thoughts?

Has anyone tried his new Deep 4/5 bass, Rob Allen's description is that it is an upgrade from the MB-2, more versatile.

Dealers? He does not have a list of dealers on his web site. I really don't think I will find one in my neck of the woods so trying one is probably not going to happen. Where did you get yours? Also I'm not sure what the price range for a four strings is so I may prefer used. PM me if you like.

2. Haven't played the fretted.... the 'Deep' is MASSIVELY expensive. He has 'flat' pricing... so buying it directly from him or a dealer is no different... same 'non-discounted' price. If you are more comfortable going through a dealer, the Groove Shoppe represents his stuff, along with Bass Northwest. I kind of enjoyed talking and working directly with Rob for mine. Very nice bass.
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    There's usually a few floating around on the used market. Keep your eyes peeled on

I've ABed the fretted and fretless versions. Get the fretless. Despite what people say, the instrument still sounds more like a BG than an upright; if you want something with a distinctively different mojo from your usual BG, fretless is the way to go.
  4. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    I just traded a MB-2 FRETTED because I didn't like the way it sounded mostly because of the frets. The frets kinda defeat the purpose.
  5. MB2's show up used every once in a while on Bass Northwest's site also.
  6. I have a Rob Allen Mouse. I agree that it sounds more like a BG than a upright, but I like the sound very much. It has a warm, womderful fretless sound, with a lot of mwah. I also like the real simple design. I like the short scale on mine and the body shape. It is also super light. Rob is also very easy to work with, so I would recommend going through him directly. I let me pick out the wood, etc. Real class act.
  7. I played fretless exclusively. I have a Zon Lightwave in which I had found my ultimate sound. I listened to the Rob Allen piece on the web site and drove to Santa Barbara to play his basses and compare. He has a nice Deep 4 in the shop. I would not have switched from the Zon to the MB2 but the Deep 4 was, IMO, exceptional. It has a warmth combined with an attack which I have not found. It is not cheap relative to other bass guitars. However, I justified it on the basis that a good used upright costs even more. Besides, what better use of money than good bass sound.

Won't repeat the whole upright vs fretless electric. Nothing sounds like an upright other than an upright. Fretless EB is a great sound in its own right. The Deep 4 has upright qualities. It has a punch on the attack which is similar to an URB, a lot of fundamental, and a very woody sound.

I will post pics later but I enjoy this bass. I also enjoyed working on its creation with Rob Allen
  8. Hey guy's Thanks for the advise so far.

Fretless seems to be the way to go on this instrument, from the sound clip I heard on his site, it sounds like that bass was made to be fretless. I agree with you all, it does have a woody tone quality but it does not sound like an URB. Not exactly why I would by this bass, I just love that sound, comes close enough for me.

I think right now it would be a toss up between the MB-2 and the Mouse 30. I prefer the looks of the single cut body of the Mouse but not sure about the 30" scale.

FlawLaw, how do you find the sound and playability of your mouse compared to the MB2, did the scale take getting use to? Anyone else? I actually have small hands so it may just suit me better.

So, I will search for a little while to see what may come up in the used market but will probably fold like a cheap suit and give Rob a call.

Let me know your opinions on the MB-2 vs. The Mouse.

Thanks again,
  9. Here is a picture of the Deep Four I received in May.

Attached Files:

10. Welp, I took the plunge and ordered my Mouse 30 :hyper:

The check for the deposit will be in the mail tomorrow and Rob will be sending me some pictures of the tops I will chose from.

Whata think:

Mouse 30
    Spalted maple top
    Ebony lined fretless w/ebony bridge

it' going to be a looong, long twelve weeks!

here is a picture of a very similar bass from his web site
  11. Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Awesome, congrats! Be sure to post some pictures of the top. :p
  12. My ex-teacher Andy Woodson played/plays a 5-string fretless. You can see a video where he plays with Paul Brown at the link below. Scroll down the left side and click on Paul Brown. Great song, and Andy's bass tone always sounds fantastic!

Let me know what you think.
  13. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    They are sick basses man, you are going to love it!

i have not seen one with a spalted maple top, that thing should be the bee's knees. Congrats.

14. Have you had the chance to play a Deep vs. an MB2 ? IF so describe the simarlarities and diffs please.