1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GASsing for multiple things at once...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hrodbert696, Jan 27, 2017.

1. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Ah, GAS. So beloved a subject to talk about around TB.

My deal right now is that I am not GAS free. Oh no. I'm also close to flush out of cash (just bought a house). There is quite a bit of headroom on my credit cards and my, but that's tempting to just go out and use.

Oddly, the main thing that's keeping me from going on a shopping spree is not so much an aversion to debt (I'm not that strong) and not an iron will that renders me immune to the GAS. It's just that I want too many things at once and I can't decide which to get first. Anyone hear about the donkey who was tied up exactly halfway between two equally large and yummy piles of hay? He starved to death because he couldn't decide which to eat first. That's pretty much me right now.

So what's gnawing on my brain?

New bass - tried out a G&L LB-100 with a jazz neck at the Boston GC when I dropped my son off at college. Ohhhhhh, that was nice. Do I NEED a new bass? No.... BUT I WANTSES IT!!

Electric guitar - also tried at the Boston GC, a Yamaha Revstar 502t, the dark green kind with the tailpiece. THAT played really nice. I'm not much of a guitarist, but thinking about doing more with it. Speaking of which....

New guitar amp - well, right now I just have a little Blues Jr. If I'm going to do more on a six-string, I need more amp, right? Maybe a Mesa-Boogie, or a Fender Supersonic. Not sure. Maybe both.

or... Acoustic guitar. I've been on guitar duty more and more in church, and getting sick of my beat-up old Alvarez. Those lower-end Taylors are pretty nice, or maybe a Breedlove...

PA! You can ALWAYS spend more money on a PA! I'm trying to get a new band launched and if it happens, a good pair of mains (Yamaha DXR?) would be essential. Probably a better mixer than my Behringer too.
    or...

UPRIGHT BASS! Well, I was going to get one of these and learn to play it for my rockabilly band. Then the BL went psycho and I quit. Largely because he didn't want to play psychobilly. My fault, most likely. But my wife gave me a book on how to play rockabilly on upright for Christmas, and that's a waste of a gift if I never get the upright, right, right, amirite?

Well, let's see, add it all up and that's.... about $8700, I think. Which is about as much as all the music gear I already own, combined. Hmmm... don't have THAT much headroom on the credit cards, and I sure don't have it in cash. So maybe I'll just get one thing... I could start with the.... but then, maybe what I really need more is the... but then... but...

Oh crap. Maybe I'll just pick up some new strings for now.

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

resist. it will pass. :roflmao:

hrodbert696 likes this.
  3. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Solution: Buy a Shen double bass for <$2000 then spend the rest of your life paying $300 a set for strings and complaining about your set up.

No money left, no GAS problem. See, saved you $6000. yw

hrodbert696 likes this.
  4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

PERFECT!