1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gassing hard for a PF50T - Sell the PF800 and get one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Chuck, Oct 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    This question has been eating at me couple of months. I've tried to resist the temptation but I am finding very very hard to. Dadgummit!

The thing is, I really like the PF800, I have no issues with it at all. It's just that I'd have to sell it to come up with the cash for the 50T.

Ultimately, I'd like to pair the 50T with a SVT212AV. That is my dream rig (at least for now).

Pros and cons? Any input from the TB community?

Thanks.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You will take a big hit on available volume, but make that up in tone.

dbbltime, eyoyo, Giorgetto and 15 others like this.
  3. gregmari

gregmari

Nov 27, 2013
    Oregon
    If the rig is for gigging then keep the pf800. If for home, studio use then go pf50t. But the best option is to get both - find a way!

Microbass, Mili, Mpike and 4 others like this.
  4. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    That is what I figured.

5. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    it would be used for both- I wish I had 800 beans laying around.

6. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Save a few more bucks and get the V-4B reissue. Great for everything.

eyoyo, Moosehead1966, 2behead and 8 others like this.
  7. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I have both the PF-800 and 50T. They're both great amps, but for gigging, I use the PF-800. While the 50T would likely be ok with the volume (I go DI anyway), I like the extra headroom that the PF-800 provides. And while I hesitate to disagree with @JimmyM, I think the tone of the PF-800 is great, especially for a class D amp. Yeah, perhaps not quite as good as the 50T, but in a band setting, I don't think that many people could hear the difference.

50T&800.

scf4003, Spectrum, wintremute and 2 others like this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I always hear it in the high notes above open G most of all. The PF800 does a great job with high notes, but when I use the 50T or any other tube amp, I always hear more body on them, whereas with SS it always seems like the bottom end isn't as strong and it sounds more guitar-like to me. It can be a subtle thing when you hear them by themselves, but in a mix, I always pick up on it. That said, I've used both on many gigs and nobody's ever walked out on me because I'm using solid state :D

9. BassGH

BassGH

Sep 13, 2015
    Seattle
    I say yes to the pf50t unless, you play in a loud band or at big places without good pa support. It’s a sweet, sweet amp.

10. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    I had a PF-500, great amp, great tone, my vote is keep the PF-800, but who am I to tell you what to do ;-)
    Rock on.

Spectrum, nonohmic and The Chuck like this.
  11. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Bada bing! :thumbsup:

dbbltime and nonohmic like this.
  12. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    So it's loud enough for a rock band where say, you're only mic'ing the vocals? Can be heard with tone over an un-mic'd rock drummer?

Engle likes this.
  13. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi The Chuck :)

I can feel you! :( Money $u**$when you don' t have it!

Both amps are great!

Maybe sell that drumkit in your avatar? :D

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

Microbass likes this.
  14. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I think 50w is a little shy for gigging, unless you can make up for it with a pretty serious cab situation.
    I know some guys (@JimmyM) can get away with with 30w amps - but I don't think that's a very realistic representation of the community (and a lot of gigs) at large. It just depends on the band.

It would just suck to get the PF50 to find out it can't cut it at volume, and then you need a second cab, or new amp. Again, it all depends on your band, your FOH situation, etc...

The Chuck likes this.
  15. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    I don't know, but if you stick a SCR/DI in front of the PF800 or PF500, you get awfully close to that tube sound....

dbbltime and basscapes like this.
  16. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    50 watts is a good amount of power. It really depends on your cab(s), but I think it would hold it's own with many cabs in a medium volume rock band.

The Chuck likes this.
  17. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    No! LOL I've been a drummer a little longer than I've been a bass player. Love to do both.

Wisebass likes this.
  18. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    I do have a new Rumble 200 that I could use for most gigs I suppose.

BassGH likes this.
  19. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I like lower watt tube amps, but IME, it really sucks when that one time you just need that little bit more, and it's not there.
    Again, just depends on your situation and your band. Going with a 50w amp and 212 can kind of limit you if that's your only rig. Like if all the sudden your band gets booked to play a large outdoor event - I think that rig would really get lost. Although, you would have that great DI.

mapleglo likes this.
  20. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    You are probably right - in an outdoor gig, 50 watts may not cut it. Though I am reminded of my old Sunn 60 watt tube amp I used for a while back in the 70's. I think I had a 4x10 Traynor cab as well. Never was at a loss for volume. Though the speakers they made in those days were a bit more efficient than todays offerings.

It's hard to say what volume level is sufficient for someone else. For me, I know that the 50T would not be enough for my gigging purposes, thus the PF-800.

Son of Wobble and Hubriser like this.