1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gas'sing Hard for a SVT PRO 7

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Livewire, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Livewire

Livewire Yahtzeeee

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey guys, so I'm a hobbyist musician, I play with a few different bands here and there and some gigs. I run a GK 700RBII though an Avatar 210 8 ohm cabinet along with a few effects. As of late, I'm gassing for a tube head. THe GK just doesn't give me that fullness and grit a tube head can achieve.

I work full time and currently job hunting. I'm contimplating selling my GK700RBII and a few effects and maybe even my Sterling by Musicman SB14 that I never play in order to buy a affordable head.

I was thinking of an Ampeg SVT Pro 7 or a Little Mark Tube. While I know these are hybrid heads with tubes in the pre, they seem to be the most affordable and deliver excellent tone. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks!

2. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Uhhh no just no

those are not tube amps

3. :rolleyes:

4. I have the SVT-7PRO and PF-500. Both fine heads. Another option for tubey tone is the Ashdown ABM500. I'm a previous owner and do regret selling that head. It can get wooly in a good way.

5. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Lots of threads on the 7 Pro, but I absolutely love mine. Bought it as a lightweight backup for my VR. After owning it for awhile, sold my VR. :)

But if you get a 7 Pro, just be careful running it through that 210. It is a beast!

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The grass is always greener, and so forth. I'd suggest another pedal in front of your already great GK amp. Plenty of options to add in a tubey flavor to what you already own, without having to sell the farm to get there.

7. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    +1 A VT Bass through a GK could probably get you pretty close.

8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    I'm gonna stop you there. The GK700RBII that I own is definitely much more gritty than the SVT or 7Pro that I owned. You've tried keeping the master set close to zero while cranking your boost and woofer knobs, right? It's grit for days.

9. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

+1

It's really easy to get caught up with GAS. The SVT PRO 7 is great, but since you're currently job hunting I'd be more cautious and perhaps try RickenBoogie's suggestion.

10. Actually, I'd try a different cab before I ditched the GK. And if you get the 7 Pro, you should still consider a cab that can handle it in all it's glory.

11. +1 on trying something like the VT bass pedal 1st. The 7PRO ain't gonna give you that ALL tube overdrive as it's not ALL tube... o_O But does get a nice overdrive with the gain dimed a li'l. Crank the gain too much & it gets a bit unpleasant, but in its early stages is cool.
    The Tech21 VT bass pedal will do that ALL tube OD sound well thru any amp.
    The Mark bass LMtube doesn't do ANY overdrive pleasantly IME. Run it with the VT bass tho & again.....