1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GASsing...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kibbles0515, Nov 23, 2010.

1. kibbles0515

kibbles0515

Sep 9, 2010
    I need a bass, BAD, or I'm gonna go nuts. I've decided on a Squier P Bass Special with the Antique Burst finish...I've saving up $$, but there are so many other things to spend money on...:mad:

2. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    I don't know if you're young, but I'd always saved my money to spend on instruments. I started saving right at 14 to buy my 1st guitar. Since then, I don't partake in the normal little pleasures, like eating out a lot or buying a ton of booze. I just hang on to my money so I can grab that one well-priced but awesome instrument you find.

3. kibbles0515

kibbles0515

Sep 9, 2010
    I turn 20 first week of December. I gotta pay for gas for my car and I gotta pay for my girlfriend. I've been saving up a lot, but I'm just not sure if I'm ready to part with $300+...:/

4. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    Ah, I'll be 22 come the beginning of 2011. I've avoided using my car all week except for band practices. I'll use my bicycle or walk for work, walk, or going to friends' places. I let myself go way too often and drop far too much money, but I've come out okay 1/2 times. :p

5. Have your girlfriend buy it :>) After all, you have been spending your $ on her, now it's time for her to return the favor! Either that or make this new bass your new girlfriend.

6. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    You gotta pay for your girlfriend? You need a new girlfriend.

7. puddin tame

puddin tame

Aug 14, 2010
    *makes whip sound*
    when I was 18 I worked all summer for my corvette, it's a good age to do such a thing I think

8. kibbles0515

kibbles0515

Sep 9, 2010
    My girlfriend already bought me an acoustic guitar/amp pack last year! I can't be a mooch!

9. kibbles0515

kibbles0515

Sep 9, 2010
    Well, my girlfriend and her family managed to donate to my bass fund for my birthday, and it looks like I'll have enough! We're going shopping later today!!!!!!

10. YOu know that you can actually find girlfriends that dont have to be payed!:bag:

11. 10 posts in and not one recommendation for SX?

12. Ivan M

Ivan M

Aug 2, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    Like what? man you only live once, treat yourself to a nice Christmas gift.

13. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    That's funny...the P-bass Special in Antique Burst...I was shopping for another Precision just a few weeks ago and saw one of these at GC. Absolutely beautiful! I didn't plug it in, but if it had the wider Precision neck on it, there's a very good chance it would have been mine!

14. Maybe MMbongo hasn't seen the thread yet...

15. buy 2 SXs
    or buy 1 SX
    and have money for girlfriend insurance

16. kibbles0515

kibbles0515

Sep 9, 2010
    They were out of all Squier P Bass Specials, but there was this Ibanez staring at me...and I BOUGHT IT! I finally got my bass: an Ibanez GSR200 with a Transparent Red Flamed Maple top. And I don't care what anyone says about Ibanez basses, this bass works great for a beginner.

17. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    I had a beat up one of those that I scored for $65. It needed a nut, some strings, and some fixes on a poor refinish. I combined it with a Hondo P Bass neck and stripped the frets out of the Ibanez's neck to build a fretless with. :p

It looked like it'd been through hell and back and is what the bass player (who is a drummer in actuality) in my current band uses because he gets uh, rambunctious and I'd hate to see him bust one that I paid more for. ;)

18. Sebek-Ra89

Sebek-Ra89

Sep 8, 2010
    Seattle
    21 years old here. I eat ramen and oatmeal every day, I take public transportation, dont have a girlfriend and I only drink if someone else is buyin, why? I'm crazy and I'm saving up for a Zon Sonus Custom 6.

19. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass.

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Dude! that's some ambition! Hang in there... you'll make it. And you will so love that bass!

kibbles, you can shorten the agony of waiting if you buy used. I used to only buy new instruments, but now that I'm poor and old (as opposed to poor and young), I've hit the classifieds here pretty hard. My main gigging bass was bought from a fellow TBer, and was virtually indistinguishable from new. I never could have afforded to buy such a beautiful instrument new... and I couldn't have bought the discontinued finish at all. Go browse the classifieds! You may have enough money already!!

:hyper:

20. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    I spent high school saving up for a Ric 360 and a Jeep. I only ended up with the 360 and it was my dream guitar. For anything that isn't metal, it still is. No regrets at all! My dream metal guitar is a custom made Ibanez from the Fuji Gen factory. I found one on CL for $350 and snagged it because I was saving for a Ric bass. No regrets again. :hyper:

I'm going to add a vote to buying used. I've got almost every bass I've owned through TB (4/7 current) and all of them except the upright used. (It's a new rent to own that cost the same as a used one!)