1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gastric Bypass, a need or want?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Anyone here know of someone who has had this? I dont want to sound mean, but I just dont understand this. From what I have read, and heard about, it seems the patient will have to do quite a bit of maint after the surgery, seems like more work to do after the surgery to maintain, than it would be to just excercise and eat right to begin with. Please understand, if I sound like I am making lite of the subject, thats not my intention, but I am curious, is this taking the easy way out in some peoples minds? I mean, people are dropping lots of weight in the first couple of months with this procedure, at what seems to be an alarming rate if you did not know better, but is it worth it in the long run? assuming the same could be done with proper eating and excerise? I have seen people I personally know who have had this done, and one of the issues is the loose skin after the dramatic weight loss. some go in for another surgery to have that removed. I guess I understand it to the point where some people have malfunctions with the body that make weight loss almost impossible, like a bad thyroid gland or something, but I am curious if this is the way to go for the rest of the general population who just want to loose the weight by any means available? I am sure if I had more knowledge of the subject, I would probably understand more, but that could be said about anything.

FWIW, if anyone here has had this, I truley hope the best for you, I do believe we all want to be happy with ourselves for one reason or another.

thanks

Thoughts

2. I work in the medical community (tho - I'm not a Dr.), and as a rule of thumb - surgery should ALWAYS be the last resort. Course it depends on what you're having done, but as an example - some people have died from getting breast implants in surgery...........so make sure its gonna be worth it!

As for gastric bypass - that's a curly one.
    Usually if someone really NEEDS this done - they're usually pretty far gone health wise - so surgery may be impossible as they're likely to die on the table. It'll depend on the hospital and the Dr's involved. For this reason, should someone need to lose weight fast, or die - the surgeons will usually just simply cut out a large protion of bowel. This will have the same effect as gastric banding - only works a lot faster and is permanent.

Their is an occasional need for this type of elective surgery - despite the fact that the vast majority of patients receiving this type of treatment put themselves directly in that position.
    Personally - I'd would rather the patients' twigged earlier, spent the money on a personal trainer and nutritionist rather than surgery - you'd probably end up financially better off AND a whole lot better off in the long run. JMHO.
    But, i know that just isn't an option for many people, especially the elderly - so yes, there is a need. Just like there's a need for other elective surgery, like Breast Implants.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    It's certainly not a cure all. I know a guy who had this done, went from around 400 lbs to just over 230. He's back at 400, and disabled now.

4. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I agree that it'd be MUCH easier to just eat right and excersize, If that person had the will and motivation to do so.
    She had never been one to excersize in her life. Always managed to get out of certain gym class functions in high school. ect.ect...
    It basically forced her to eat less cause if she ate more than her 'new system' would allow it to take in, it'd come right back up. Her diet at 1st was all puraid sp.It's about normal anymore and it's been a year this April since the operation.
    She's dropped about half her weight but there's all that extra skin still kinda hanging there. Not quite the 2 piece bikini body she had hoped for. She uses a tread mill quite a bit and walks around 70-80 miles a week between that and everyday functions.
    Another issue, likely from being overweight was sleep apnia, or the lack of getting into a deep sleep and always waking every hour or so and not getting enough rest. She wears this mask with an air pump contraption that forces the lungs to open further. She sleeps much better now which gives her more energy through out the day.