Gate checking MONO gig bag or Fender hard case?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Selim, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    I've probably read every post on TB on this subject, but I'll be traveling multiple times in the U.S. this summer and I'm just plain tired of lugging my SKB flight case around airports.

I've haven't carried my bass in a gig bag onto a plane since the 80's, when that's all I did. Since 2000 or so, I've always gate-checked the bass in a flight case like the "regular" SKB case. Now it will be the Fender hard case that came with the new Fender Am Pro bass I recently acquired.

Can I use my MONO M80 bass case and be reasonably confident that flight attendants will accommodate me? Or if they can't accommodate me, will the sorta rugged MONO case be okay for the gate check?

I know this is probably a tired subject by now on TB, but I need to decide soon which way to go.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  2. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    They will not accommodate you....you will be hooped

mikeswals likes this.
  3. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Hooped? Don’t know that term.

4. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    It’s really this second part of my question that I’m concerned with.

Experiences with gate checking MONO M80/vertigo bags anyone?

5. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    It’s gonna be friendly Alaska air and dreaded Delta that I know of so far ...

6. T Bassman

T Bassman

Dec 13, 2010
    Canada
    I did a month long European tour with a mono, as did several band mates, with no issues boarding. My bag held up great and is still in use a couple yrs later

7. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    hooped...screwed
    In the 90s I could take my gig bag on board
    2000s hard cases in fragile....where I saw the staff toss my bass in the air flipping to land on the conveyor belt...crash

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021