1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gate pedal??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Mar 12, 2013.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I was wondering if anyone makes a pedal that has a gate feture on it or if I can get that same type of effect out of my D.O.D digital delay. I owned the Boss Flanger, the 3, for a couple of weeks and I dug it but took it back and replaced it with the MXR Bass Chourus Deluxe. I thought the Boss sounded really thin at times and was looking for a different sound. The one thing I knew I was going to miss though was the gate feture on the Flanger from the Boss. Does anyone make a specific pedal for thei type of gate or can someone recommend a pedal that is awesome and has this feture on it besides the Boss Flanger?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    A "gate" usually refers to a noise gate, which you can find on some fuzz pedals, and every single noise gate pedal you could imagine.

3. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Can you name a few that have this on them please?? I cant seem to find another pedal that has this noise gate feture on it. Can you do that type of effect with a delay pedal??

4. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Zoom B3 has a very good gate effect that can go from normal noise gate (not suppression or filter) to super tight gate which can almost give a gated fuzz sound to normal fuzz.

5. falconspatriots

falconspatriots Oh Word

May 3, 2011
    connecticut
    The Zvex Loop gate is amazing! A little expensive for a noise gate, but it doubles as a bypass loop. Tones of possibilities.

6. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I'm looking for an actual pedal that's main purpose is a noise gate. I already have the BDDI and the VT on my board. I will def check out the ZVex, sounds pretty sweet. Thanks falcon

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

If you want the best gate in stomp box form get an ISP decimator (the rack mount is even better, one of the best).

If you want a good gate that you can get for under $100, but is also a MAJOR tonesucker, get the Boss NS-2.

8. Check out the MXR M80, it has a noise gate, a DI, a preamp and some distortion!

9. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I'm not sure if I asked the right question now. I'm not looking for something to suppress noise. Are any of you familiar with the boss bf3?? It has a setting on it called gate. I absolutely loved the the effect it gave when I was trying to get that crazy fast delay sort of effect. Is this the same thing you guys are recommending?? Because that's the effect I'm looking for is that gate setting on the boss bd3.

10. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Not bd, but the BF3 flanger

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

The gate feature on the BF-3 works like a tremolo by lowering and spiking volume. Get a TR-2 and though pedal board placement is subjective, volume always goes before time unless you want some weird stuff.

I am also assuming you run it mono, when I run my BF-3 stereo the gate feature works like a pan and sends the signal bouncing back and forth between the two rigs.

Sorry for the initial response, a gate pedal is a noise gate so I assumed that is what you were looking for.

12. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I took the BF3 back and got a POG. I am happy with my decision but I really miss the gate feature on the Boss though. Is there another pedal out there that I can pull that same effect off with? I suppose that the effect I am speaking of, its sort of a pan effect but very fast. I wish I could describe it better. I had to set the other knobs a certain way as well as putting the BF3 on the gate setting. I do believe I turned the other knobs up around 3 o'clock or so, maybe a little less but that effect was killer and I wnat it back!!

13. DiabolusInMusic

As I said, the gate effect is a volume swell unless hooked up in stereo, then it becomes a pan. A tremolo is what you are looking for, it fluctuates volume up and down.

14. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Will it be as drastic as a vibrato that cuts the sounds every fraction of a second or so as long as the note is sustained?