1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gated fuzz with best synth effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by u84six, Aug 9, 2012.

1. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    I've been looking at synth pedals, but they don't get the fuzz I'm looking for. I just checked out a video of the Iron Ether Oxide and that is surprisingly closer to the synth sound I'm looking for. Are there any other gated fuzz pedals I should look at to get a moog style fuzz?

2. CptRevell

CptRevell

Aug 15, 2011
    Maryland
    I had a Bass Murf that had a nice synthy fuzzy sort of thing.

The standards also apply: Mammoth, Brown Dog, etc.

3. Mesa XI

Mesa XI

Feb 25, 2009
    I'm a big fan of the EHX Micro Bass Synth. The square wave adds a nice fuzz

4. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    I have the Mammoth and the MXR Blowtorch, which is like the Mammoth but with added EQ.

5. The Copilot Orbit is fun gated fuzz/crazy synthy pedal. It is a fuzz/vco combo. Really fun pedal.

6. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    I have a variety of gated fuzz and synth sounds on my website. Check sig below.

7. All of my gated fuzz needs are met by the Copilot Orbit, and my Octavius Squeezer (which really just has a Brown Dog built-in for fuzz)

8. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    The Copilot Orbit is mental - it rapes my ears when the ring mod side is fully dialled in, in a good way of course.

9. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    I think the Copilot Orbit is a bit too distorted. I'm looking for something that can come close to a clean square wave, but have less ring than a synth.

10. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    The orbit is a great synth pedal. But i find its waveform sonically closer to a sawtooth wave than a pure square. Its a great #2 Fuzz pedal, as its a brighter fuzz sonically, when paired with a 'pure bassier fuzz' like a WM or BD. especially with the VCO attached. it makes it more versatile than most other fuzzes.

11. You can dial the the vco out and just run fuzz if you want to. The straight fuzz of the MXR blue box is quite a square waveish sound and it is cheap too. I've been using it a lot lately it almost sounds like an 8 bit type of fuzz.

12. Knettgummi

Knettgummi

Sep 28, 2011
    TAFM!

Brad C likes this.
  13. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have the TA!FM and the Oxide and both can do what you're looking for. Or you could maybe try a Moog Freqbox, but then you will have to deal with tracking.

14. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Yeah, I'm trying to avoid tracking issues. That's why I'm looking for something analog that can simulate or come close to the effect.

15. Analog doesn't infer perfect or better tracking than digital, at all. In fact, with Octavers, digital pedals have superior tracking. Tracking should be looked at on a case by case basis. I also think sound is as important as tracking, I have no Digital vs. Analog bias except for OD, Distortion and Fuzz.
    I am not saying that going with Fuzz to get synthish sounds is a bad idea or anything. Maybe you should check out INFANEM Second Voice for synthy sounds.

16. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    There have been topics where people use words to describe sounds, but it turned out there were several definitions at work. "Moog" as a descriptor, for example, can mean anytihng a Moog synth could produce... and that is a huge range of sounds.

Similarly, there was a recent topic where someone was talking about getting a square wave... and they were instead talking about clipping distortion, which doesn't sound the same at all.

Could you post a clip or a YouTube link of what you're actually looking for?

17. guyshocks

guyshocks

Apr 5, 2011
    Source Audio bass pedals have some synthy fuzz pedals. Never tried it out but heard it online. Sounds a lot fuzzier than a Mark Bass Super Synth.

18. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Oxide or 2nd Voice would be my suggestions.

19. Knettgummi

Knettgummi

Sep 28, 2011
    The MWBD is a pretty cool pedal, and it definitely does "synthy" tones. I would call it a distortion rather than a fuzz, but that's beside the point.

IMO it lacks a bit of that undefinable "organicness" of a good distortion or fuzz, but it's absolutely worth checking out as a compromise between a distortion and a synth pedal.

20. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    been using a wmd bass mod geiger counter, it's got sample rate, bit rate, and over 200 wave tables, plus it can warm up a solid state amp and make a tube amp sound more punchy and focused, i don't use it for bass in my current project though i use it for vocal effects similar to marilyn manson or jamc, it's basically my go to thing when i need insane od/fuzz, synthbass, or thick trip hop tones