Gated Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by naruki, Oct 10, 2011.

1. naruki

naruki

May 1, 2010
    London
    Okay, let me rephrase. I'm looking for the kind of gated fuzz that squeezes out each note (think Mammoth with the gate turned clockwise) that works with active basses, besides the Brown Dog.

So far, I have:

Orbit
    Oxide

[DEL]Looking for a gated fuzz pedal.

I tried a Brown Dog, and just as it's name implies, it's crap. Screw you Chunk Systems.

The Mammoth doesn't work with my hot pre-amp.

Couldn't find a site trustworthy enough to order a Mammoth clone (too lazy to build one myself). Also, I couldn't be sure that the clones will work with my hot pre-amp either.

The Oxide is currently on my list. I have owned one before and I loved it. I'm just checking if there are any other gated fuzz pedals out there.

A Mastotron is currently en-route to me. I heard that at extreme pulse width settings, it sounds gated. Well that makes a lot of sense to me since I have an electronic/electrical engineering background and gated pedals basically just narrows out the phase width.[/DEL]

2. Orbit?

3. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    Mastotron and WM are the same pedal..
    and there is a list of them if you search

4. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    OLC Chunky Cheese is gated but really only works if it is customized with a blend,...or you use it with a blend pedal (IE Boss LS-2). It is low end lossy.

Mellowtone Wolf Computer can get some Gated Toanz as well as a myriad of other Toanz.

There are a bunch out there. Here is a short list compiled by TBers, which you may or may not be referencing.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/gated-fuzz-list-725370/

5. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Simulpost.

Derp.

6. naruki

naruki

May 1, 2010
    London
    Awesome. That's quite recent, thanks. I gave up using the search function to look for lists a while ago because I always get 3-4 year old threads. The Oxide wasnt even out at that time.

7. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I have a hard time understanding this attitude. "Screw you Chunk Systems"? Because their pedals weren't what you were looking for? I generally reserve that degree of ire for a company with shoddily built products and/or awful customer service. Chunk Systems has neither of those.

I get that everyone is different and not every piece of gear works for everyone. behndy didn't get along with the Brown Dog either. I chalk that up to different tone goals, different gear, different technique and just flat out different strokes for different folks. There's certainly been plenty of gear that didn't work at all for me despite there being a legion of fans for it. And when that happens I just chalk it up to just not being for me and not the gear being "pieces of ****" as you call them.

Personally, I use the Brown Dog and it does exactly what I want. And for that matter I got a lot of use out of the 00Funk (which you've also recently slagged without real explanation and go out of your way to slag in your profile too) before I sold it too. If it sounds like I'm being a bit touchy about this, that's because I am. Richard Cartwright at Chunk has always gone out of his way to provide great customer service and he's one of a great many small pedal builders that make this a great time to be an effects user, especially since his pedals are bass centric from the start. That doesn't mean everyone has to like them, but their pedals certainly aren't "crap".

Maybe if there was even some indication of WHY the Brown Dog didn't work out for you it would help in recommending something else. As it stands, I don't have enough info to really make a recommendation for you but more importantly I'm not really interested in doing so when you trash gear that I like without explanation.

The Mammoth doesn't "work" with any preamp. That's because of the impedence mismatch, not anything to do with how hot your signal is. Pretty much all active basses will have the same effect.

By definition the Mammoth clones are the same circuit. Without some sort of impedence buffer or variable impedence control (Barge Concepts used to make a good one) you'll experience the same sort of thin, overly compressed sound with any clone and an active bass.

8. wolffman

wolffman

Oct 2, 2008
    Philadelphia PA
    Beta Tester: Red Panda Labs
  9. naruki

naruki

May 1, 2010
    London
    Well I said, "Screw you Chunk Systems.", but I didn't say, "Chunk Systems sucks, everyone please avoid it!", did I? I couldn't pull anything nice from it so I refer to it as crap. If it works out for another person then awesome and I wouldn't boycott any songs played using the Brown Dog. The screw you Chunk Systems part comes from the fact that the Agent 00 Funk is the most annoying pedal I have ever used. Again, if it works out for someone else, then awesome.

10. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    To 99% of people, it sounds exactly like this.

11. jwr

jwr Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS

It's funny but I actually agree with you. I thought the Agent 00 Funk was ridiculously hard to use. I'd have it on a setting I'd like, turn off my amp, come back a day later to play and that setting no longer worked the same. It was like you have to constantly tweak the crap out of it to get a usable tone. I'd say it's probably one of the most annoying pedals I've played as well. I wouldn't go as far as to call it a piece of junk, but I could understand someone saying that.

As far as gated fuzz goes, I'd recommend the TAFM with gate mod. SOOOOOOO awesome!

12. naruki

naruki

May 1, 2010
    London
    Is the gate mod installed by Team Awesome or independent?

13. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    I own, have owned, and am selling some gated fuzz. But without knowing what you're hoping to achieve with them I couldn't tell you if they'd work for your sound or not.

Many are using gated fuzz for the basis of a synth tone. Others simply to tighten the fuzz sound so it's not so loose and flabby. Others to lop off between-note noise but not affect their actual fuzz sound.

My synthy fuzz is a Chunk Squeezer, which is supposedly a Brown Dog, Funk filter, and a mixer all in a programmable box. Lots of tones and while it's a PITA to program, once you do it's locked in there so you have easily accessible and reusable tones. But it's not going to sound like a Muff, if that's what tone you're shooting for. On the flip side, a Muff isn't every going to sound like a squared, synthy fuzz, either.

14. naruki

naruki

May 1, 2010
    London
    Thats what I want. Like, I had the 3xFx before and that's not what I wanted.

15. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    OK, so we're back to asking you for specifics. What specifically did you like about the Brown Dog and Fatman? What specifically did you not like? Those are two totally different sounding fuzz tones, both usable with or without any gate. You need to be very specific.

16. naruki

naruki

May 1, 2010
    London
    What I want is just technically a Mammoth that works with active basses. The Brown Dog isn't beefy enough.

17. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Gate Modded TAFMs are done in house by Brian H. and are usually identifiable by the dual footswitches.

team awesome! fuzzmachine

Just have to keep checking for one to come up for sale at one of the various dealers. Or seek one out in the Classies.

18. This... this hurt me a little bit.

On the inside :crying:.

19. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    Active basses are low impedance, and passive are high. Place a buffered pedal in front of the WM, and you will get the same low impedance input whether you are active or passive.

9 volt or 18 volt have nothing to do with it. All it deals with is head room.

In other words, I agree with what you said, but adding a Bos anything in front, even off levels the playing field for any bass...

And for what it is worth, the Woolly Mammoth sounds great with active basses when placed after a buffered pedal in the chain. I used mine all the time, and I am looking to get another, and all I play are active basses.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021