Gated Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by naruki, Oct 10, 2011.

1. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    For those pedals that require a pickup load and work poorly with active buffers, has anyone heard of something like this: Guitar Pickups Simulation

2. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    When I had a WM clone, I also found it didn't work well with my active basses. I had some luck wiring up a box with a volume pot and 2 jacks, run directly ahead of the WM, with the volume turned to about 85-90%. It definitely made the pedal more useable.

3. +1 to Oxide, the thing is incredible

4. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I use the O.S. as my only fuzz. It's nice to be able to call up a variety of fuzz plus filter plus blend settings. I really like the fuzz circuit in it too, I've been using it longer than any other fuzz I've owned.

5. naruki

naruki

May 1, 2010
    London
    Updated first post.

6. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Interesting that your experience is very different from mine. For me adding a buffered pedal (generally an OC-2) in front of the Wooly Mammoth gave me the same sound with a passive bass as using an active bass straight into the WM. In other words: thinner, more compressed and "splatty". I DO think people saying the Mammoth won't "work" with actives is a strange way to put it. It's definitely a different sound but can still be acceptable depending on context. It's still great as part of an OC-2/Mammoth/swept Moog LPF filter combo for instance.

My custom Barge looper had a Z control that could somewhat counteract an active bass and/or a buffered pedal upstream of the WM but it wasn't perfect. It never sounded the same as running a passive bass directly into the Mammoth for me. Have you tried that? I'm curious to what you think of the difference.

The Mammoth is one of the most distinctive bass fuzzes ever made but considering its price tag and the difficulty of getting the best sound out of it I've never really considered picking up another one.

7. naruki

naruki

May 1, 2010
    London
    From my experience, anything before a Mammoth sounds bad. Even a tuner.

8. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    One of my old pedal tuners (the Planet Waves I think?) was true bypass and therefore was fine in front of the Mammoth. But any with a buffered bypass (like the Boss TU-2 I believe) will have the same effect as any other buffered pedal.

The Mammoth (and most Fuzz Face clones) is a finicky little beast.

9. naruki

naruki

May 1, 2010
    London
    I had a Korg Pitchblack before it. I thought my Mammoth was busted but I removed the Pitchblack and it worked fine.

Ppl might call it a one trick pony but I think the Mammoth is the best sounding fuzz out there.

10. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    Not to jump right on the muse bandwagon again, but do you like the tone in Uprising? It is a EHX Octave Multiplexor into a Prunes and Custard into a Woolly Mammoth, played with an active Fender Jazz Bass.

I think the tone is incredible.

11. naruki

naruki

May 1, 2010
    London
    Dude! When I test a fuzz pedal, that's the bassline I play omg. You serious?

12. wolffman

wolffman

Oct 2, 2008
    Philadelphia PA
    Beta Tester: Red Panda Labs
    lol

i cant tell if this was sarcastic or not... but the excitement made me laugh either way. hahaha

13. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Then maybe an Arger Capricorn+ with the pickup sim mod is right for you:

{ARGER}

Not cheap, since with the mod and shipping it would be close to the price of the Mammoth, but it would likely be what you want. It looks to be a modded Mammoth clone with some nice tweaks. The pickup sim is almost certainly a variation of the Jack Orman circuit which I thought worked pretty well on the Zeibek fuzzes when using active basses or moving the fuzz around in the chain.

14. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    Yea, that is the pedal chain, and the bass he played.

Does this change the opinion of the WM at all?

15. naruki

naruki

May 1, 2010
    London
    Yeah haha. The Mammoth is my fav pedal ever. And the Bongo is my fav bass. And the Mammoth hates the Bongo.

Shut up :D haha :D I think the bass line for Uprising has the nicest balance between clean, fuzz and synth.

What about the Passive/Active Box offered by Arger? Think that'd work with the Mammoth?

16. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, it's the same circuit as their pickup sim just in a separate stombox so it should work fine. I have no experience with Arger, but I did use a Barge Concepts GLZ to get the Mammoth (and other pedals) to play nice with an active bass and it worked fairly well.

17. naruki

naruki

May 1, 2010
    London
    I listened to a few Capricon + clips. I'm very intrigued.

Do you know if Arger is still active? For example, I tried to order a Tentacle Love Fuzz, never got a reply.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021