1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gator ATA/TSA polyethylene cases

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JDR, Apr 25, 2010.

1. JDR

JDR

Mar 8, 2008
    Has anyone had any experience with the Gator "ATA Molded Mil-Grade PE Case w/ TSA Latches for Bass Guitars" (GPE-BASS-TSA)(http://www.gatorcases.com/Default.a...age=Details&CategoryID=4493&CatalogID=11131)? If so, are they truly airline-worthy? I'm looking for an alternative to heavy, expensive, road cases (Anvil, Gator, etc.) for an occasional plane trip. Any first hand experiences would be appreciated.
    P.S. If this bass case question is in the wrong sub-thread, please feel free to move it wherever appropriate.

2. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Im looking for the same info right now..

3. As a former TSA officer I will note that if you have an approved lock with the symbol on it they will avoid breaking your bag. Usually the people that actually break your stuff are the guys that directly load the planes because the angles they have to work in are terrible so even if they wanted to place everything down perfectly they really can't.

4. bump, I'm hoping for a review without posting another thread.

5. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I ordered the SKB44 the other day.. Should have it soon... Trip to Monaco and France in 3 weeks with the bass. .Will know more how it holds up on international flights after Oct12 when i return...

6. I have the Gator case but have not used it on an airline yet and I'm not sure I would. It seems that if something really heavy and narrower then the top or bottom "shoulders" where to be placed or dropped on the case, it could be problematic.

Great case for local hauling for sure.

I have flown with the SKB Bass Safe without issue.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Looking at these guys - any more thoughts?

8. johnbegone

johnbegone

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Going to bring this thread back from the dead. Was looking for some new cases for my basses and just bought a pair of these sight unseen from MF.com (had a gift card). Hoping for the best, but the reviews on the site sound stellar and the cases look awesome in pictures.

Says they won't ship till 8/1 so I'll report back once I get them. I don't do a lot of flying with my basses right now, but will begin doing so soon. Mostly these cases are for touring on the road.

If anyone else has these and wants to chime in, now would be the time :)

9. johnbegone

johnbegone

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Received one from MF and the corner was damaged, looks like it was dropped pretty hard in the box. Sent it back for an exchange, but that doesn't give me a whole lot of faith in the case. Ah well, good looking case either way :)

10. RayStJohn

RayStJohn

Jun 29, 2014
    Weston, Fl
    Hi -

I have this case for all my 5 Yamaha TRBX304 basses. I love this case and the excellent felt padding.
    However; this case "to me" is a "deluxe case" for your instrument. Not to be taken on the road.

Gator also makes another TITAN case but again is plastic, and plastic is plastic no matter what:
    http://www.gatorcases.com/p/16266-2269/gwp-bass

If you wish to get a case from Gator that is "road proof", get this case:
    Gator G-TOUR Guitar Case - Electric Bass Guitar | Sweetwater.com

It all depends how "valuable" is your instrument to you. I have a few guitars and basses that I will never
    take on the road no matter what.

This ATA is worth every penny if you are the meticulous person that takes care of your bass or guitar, but
    not to take your instrument on the road with it.

Any question, feel free to email me at raygayo@hotmail.com

RAY ST JOHN