Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

gator or skb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaurus, Sep 26, 2002.

1. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i need a four space rack case. i'm trying to decide between the gator, or skb roto. as far as the back panel on the skb...whatever...i'm not worried about that. what concerns me is how will the case sit on top of my 8x10 cabinet. i've got a peavey right now, but within the next year, i'll probably have an ampeg. anyway...the skb looks like it might not sit too well on top. i've never seen a gator case in person, so i can't really tell. i know i can get one though. anyway...let me know what you guys think. thanks.

2. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I just happen to have SKB "ATA" cases, Gator cases(newer design) and SKB "Roto" cases. For a bass rig, it's your choice. I currently am using a 4 space SKB ATA for my stage rig. The Gators are not a bad case and certainly, if you shop around, quite a deal for the money. Which brings me to the Roto...after "trashing" Rotos for years(never having owned one...oops!) I have gotten some and must shamefully admit that I really like them! For some apps, actually better than the ATAs. If you don't need the back rail and won't be shipping the head, I'd recommend the Roto...it's tougher and much cheaper.

Kim

3. Fbregy

Fbregy

Apr 10, 2002
    Little Rock, AR
    Not familiar with the gator rack cases but I have a gator bass case and it seems really sturdy. I will be checking my bass to china soon so if it survives I will tell ya when I return.

4. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Just noticed. You have a Peavey 810TX. Before you make the jump to Ampeg, try them side-by-side...you just may decide to keep the Peavey, if sound is the criteria...if it's prestige, then go for the Ampeg.
    I have Ampeg and Peavey gear, so I'm not biased. Just don't sell the Peavey cabs short. Save money. Make great sounds. Be happy.

Kim

5. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i'm definately not planning on getting rid of the peavey anytime soon. it sounds great. i have a friend who had one and sold it for an ampeg, and he said he wished he'd kept it. anyway...the main thing about the peavey that i don't like, is how the wheels are. it's got a flat bottom, w/ the wheels in the corner, rather than the cutaway bottom w/ the heavy casters. on tour, one of the wheels broke (in savannah, ga), and i had to carry it around for two weeks until we came home. luckily the store i got it from had the replacement casing, so when we went back out it was fine. the guy at the store called peavey, and they said that the wheels are meant to move the cab on a stage, or in the back of a truck. not from one gig to the next. that's not too practical for touring bands. oh well.

6. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I feel your pain. I never did like the "socket" wheels on large cabs for those reasons. However, while the Ampeg's casters and bar handle are definitely an improvement, I still would have a devil of a time in gravel (I'm in North Florida) parking lots and such, with one side or another tending to "dive in". Over the years, my best solution was and remains...a good hand truck. Home Depot has a Milwaukee "D" handle truck(I prefer this style) with 10" pneumatic wheels for under $30. It will handle 500 lbs. and is very maneuverable over any surface. Makes ramp loading a breeze. Plus you can use it for all of the other gear you have, or to move the gf's washing machine, in a pinch. I also have one of those flat-folding aluminum hand trucks that will fit in any trunk. They are rated for 200 lbs. I have had 150 lbs. on mine without ill effect. Not as good as the Milwaukee on soft surfaces, but still much better than any amp caster set up. Most catalogs show them for about $100...Lowe's has them for under $40.
    If you are still looking for a replacement socket caster for your 810, they are a standard cabinet offering from Re'An and others and are pretty cheap. Let me know if you need more info.

Kim

7. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Any more opinions about SKB vs. GATOR? I'm looking for a 5 or 6 space rack now. I have a SKB now which is really nice but the lids don't latch real tight (it's old and I want a newer one).

8. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think the SKB rotos could stand a good amount of abuse, as stated before. As much as the older school SKBs? In the long run, I personally don't think so. But the roto lids seem to be very dense (like on my 5 space roto-roller)...a little TOO dense sometimes! It's like armor! But for some strange reason, the rear of it is like way UNDER-built. That whole rattley, loose fitting rear panel secured by red plastic twisty "knobs" is really not my style. Oh well. I think they still are pretty cool. As for versus Gator, the gator cases that my band owns are holding up really well. Solid construction and doesn't look like it's going to fall apart any time soon. No complaints from my band mates.

-T

*btw if anyone is interested, I'm selling a black Road Ready ATA-type 4 Space w/ rear rack rail I ended up not needing*

:bag:

9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    The Gator cases feel really flimsy to me. I have one, but it never leaves my house. I tell you though, I'd be afraid to sit any plastic case on top of an 8x10. They just seem so slippery, I'd be afraid that the vibrations would send it sliding off.

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I've got a gator roller rack [i forget if it's a 6 or an 8-i gotta check on that]. It's held up to everything i've put it through. Whether it's getting lugged around for a choir competition [i'm in the band obviously], loaded in the back of a truck, taking a ride in my car, or just general moving and using-it has held up well. I bought it used off of a guy on here for around $75 + he threw in a bunch of speaker cables. One of the best deals i've ever gotten.

That's all

11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Go SKB... They make stuff for the military for a damned good reason.