1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gator rolling speaker bag

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by drummer5359, Sep 3, 2017.

1. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    I wasn't sure where to post this. Since it is a product that affects those of us who deal with live sound, this seemed like the right place.

I own four QSC K-12 speakers, the rhythm guitarist owns two as well. We use mine as monitors and his as mains just to keep things simple. We moved from using huge speaker cabinets and separate power amps several years ago and are very happy with the results.

Although the K-12s are relatively light, we recently had a gig with a particularly rough load in and load out. I remember hearing that Gator came out with a bag with wheels to fit the K-12s, K-12.2s and other similar speakers. I decided to order a couple and check them out. The model number is GPA-712SM. Sweetwater and a lot of other retailers offer them, I am linking to them on Amazon as they have the best photos.

I have the QSC Totes to fit the speakers, but if these can save me some load in grief I'll buy more of them. They are currently out for delivery. I'll report in once I've used them for a gig.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058MJZ60/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    They arrived in enormous boxes about an hour ago. I opened the boxes on my front porch and took them down into my basement rehearsal space.

First the pros:

-They have stiff sidewalls making these easier to load the speakers into in comparison to the QSC totes.

-These bags seem a little better made than the QSC totes, which were adequate.

-WHEELS! The inline skate wheels and retractable handle make these as easy to move as a "pilot case".

Negatives:

-They are a little pricey. The QSC totes sell for $80 each, these sell for $140 each. I do think that the difference is likely going to be worth it for an old guy like me.

-The Gator bags are slightly larger than the QSC totes. Not a lot, but likely enough of a difference that I will have to slightly change how I load my van.

Overall I am pleased and looking forward to using them.