1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gator vs. Ultracase

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG] - NEW!' started by Burwabit, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    I'm curious if anyone has experience with the new Gator Frameworks GTRSTD4 stand. Especially interested if you could compare and contract to Ultracase, i.e. the GSX-4 or 6. I have two of the Ultracase GSX-6 racks at home, but they're a little bulky and heavy to gig with. I'd prefer a 4 guitar version for gigs. Gator version looks very similar and well made at almost half the cost. Any help is much appreciated.

Ref.
    Gator - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...rks-gtrstd4-guitar-case-stand-holds-4-guitars
    Ultracase - Ultracase GSX-4 Guitar Stand

2. Burwabit

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Anybody familiar with the Gator?

3. Burwabit

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Since y’all are no help :), I went ahead and ordered the Gator case. I’ll do my own review.

4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Did you ask Billy-Bob, or whatever the name is of your Sweetwater Sales Engineer?

5. Burwabit

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Cameron. No, I did not ask Cameron. I'm too busy answering questions about my basses and my next gig.

6. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Both of those go for a longer dollar than I would have expected

7. Burwabit

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    They're worth it if you want to make sure it's secure on stage (or home). Ultracase has been touring standard for years of many pro bands. They're also the ones who make those big guitar vaults.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Looking them over, I'm not seeing a whole heck of a lot that's different about them.

9. Burwabit

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Received the Gator and I'm VERY impressed. It's darn near exact copy of the Ultracase. I don't like the handle quite as well because I can't see screws (in case handle needs replacing in the future). Other than that, almost identical. I plan to do a gear review ASAP.
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm sure the screws are hidden on the inside under the foam or those covers lift off to reveal them. Fortunately Gator is a very good company and they'll be happy to help you when the time comes...unless they get sold to a crappy new owner in the future :D

Burwabit likes this.
  11. Gtholden

Gtholden

Mar 27, 2017
    Hi Burwabit. I'm in the same boat as you. Getting ready to pull the trigger on a either the Gator or Ultracase for 4 basses. What is you thoughts now since you own both? Thanks a ton!

12. Burwabit

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    From my perspective, they're almost identical. Both are well made with high quality latches and carpet. The only difference I've found is in the cord that keeps guitars from tipping out. On the Gator it is slightly thinner and comes from the right to left. Ultracase has thicker cord and stretches left to right. IMHO, the Gator is great value.

Gtholden likes this.
  13. Gtholden

Gtholden

Mar 27, 2017
    Thanks! That helps. I know in the long run, the difference in price between the two won't matter, but it is a significant difference up front. I've heard of quality control issues with the Gator (hinges being nailed as opposed to being screwed). So it sounds like if you had to do it over again, you'd go with the Gator over the Ultracase? Thanks again for your insight.

14. Burwabit

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Yes I would go with Gator. One disclaimer... I haven't travel with the Gator very much yet, so I can't testify about its longevity.

Gtholden likes this.
  15. Gtholden

Gtholden

Mar 27, 2017
    Thanks. My application would be mostly home use with limited gigging. So it sounds like it will work great.

Burwabit likes this.