Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gatz or Gotz??

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by quatre03, Mar 17, 2005.

1. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    there is an ad on my local bullitin board for a Gatz 'upright bass fiddle' for 1200 ish, is that the same as an upright bass?

Wonderful German hand engraved Gatz bass.
    Ladies bass larger than 3/4 smaller than full.
    Designed i the 1800's for easier position and transport.
    EXCELLENT recording and concerts.
    Two inquisite bows. German black haired. Italian white mongolian
    Canvas case.
    Lovingly cared for and played emensely/

i've been doing some searching and i've found a lot on conrad gotz

2. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    I know you guys are there, i need some answers...fast

3. Gotz is the spelling.

4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Gotz company has several different instruments, fittings, and accessories with their name on them...

What is "designed in the 1800s"? Can you give us some pics of this bass?

5. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    well i'm sure they looked at the lable, and the old english O may have looked like an A and they just messed it up, and have no clue what their saying. I just want to make sure it not like some cheap-o knock off where someone is trying to live off of someone elses name like the tokai japanese fender knock offs

there arent any pics, but its driving distance, so i've e-mailed them to see if i can drive up to check it out.

I need to know what exactly i'm looking for in a good upright?

6. The O in Gotz has those two little dots over it....I dunno what they're called, but because of those little Mothers, it's pronounced Getz....like in Stan.
    And as you say: " I need to know exactly what i'm looking for in a good upright", We suggest you go to the Basses Forum heading and spend a bunch of time looking under the Newbie Links and Archives. All the answers to your questions should be in there. Good luck.
    By the way, what's an "inquisite bow"?
    What's a "White Mongolian Canvas case"?

7. the two dots is called an "umlaut", and should make gotz sound more like guetz (assuming it is german), although its kinda hard to notate in english.

no help on the on topic stuff though :meh:

8. jonas

jonas

Dec 9, 2003
    Frankfurt am Main/Germany
    Lando Music (Germany)
    Here's the URL of Götz: http://www.gotzviolins.de/start.htm

BTW, the ö-Umlaut is usually written as oe, when no ö is available. The ue (Guetz) is the Umlaut ü.
    Ö is pronounced similar to "ea" in the english word "learn", or the "i" in "flirt".

9. Hey jonas....how are you?
    Now you're just bein' a show-off because your keyboard can make the umlaut and ours can't ;)

10. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Or the "u" in "guts".

:ninja:

11. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    i'm guessing that when she said 2 bows, that one was black Italian, the other is white Mongolian, and there is a Canvas Case(soft)

12. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    Mr. Gotz told me that it has the umlat over the "O" and is pronunced like Gertz.

The company has been in business since the19th century.
    Gotz told me that they don't make anything themselves, but buy their goods from local makers and label some of it with their name. They used to be in Markneukirchen,and went west
    after WWII. Right now the name of the town escapes me.
    If I remember correctly all or most of the makers there are originally from around Markneukirchen(a market by a church).

13. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
  14. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

Did you check it out? I saw the same add, sounds like a good deal if it's halfway decent bass.