Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gaudi on BBC Radio 1

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Howard K, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Yes that's right folks, Gaudi - my jolly brit-rock band - are on the BBC Radio 1 web site waiting for your vote!

The band with the most votes gets well needed air play on BBC Radio 1, so please get online, register and VOTE GAUDI!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/onemusic/demos/lamacq

Oh go on!!!

2. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    P-P-P-Pleeeeaase vote for us!

I might get to quit my office job as a direct result of you voting. Now isn't that a worth while cause?! ;)

...oh and 'bump'...

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I did go and have a look, but it appears you actually have to register, then write a review of the tracks - which stumped me as I have no facility to play music on my laptop? :confused:

4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    i know the reg process is cack... but you dont have to write a review?! - just say 10/10 for each of the four questions ;)

Naah, no worries... tis s supreme pain in the arse having to registrer 1st. buggers.

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Slightly OT but who took that band pic and what were they smoking.

6. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    It was the singers Mrs and she missed most of my face out... a blessing!!

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I just listened to your songs Howard. I must say I'm impressed! The songwriting is good, so is the playing and the singing, and the arranging and production!

When I have a little time I'll go back there and do the stuff.

...If I may make one criticism, though :) The style/arrangement doesn't sound all that original to me. It's just that it doesn't sound that distinctive, it sounds kinda a like a lot of indie stuff that has gone before, it doesn't sound 'new'.

But that's all! Overall it's very good!

8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    OK, I'll let you into a little secret... I'm not actually playing on that demo, in fact I had nothing to do with it whatsoever! :D

Our singer wrote, arranged, played, sung, recorded, produced and mastered all the music himself!!!

So all credit to him really.

He recruited a band (inc. me on bass) to make it a live act. So here we are, using his demo to get gigs and exposure.
    I should add that my bass lines are almost 100% identical as he did such a good job of 'writing for the song' that I didnt see fit to change them in anyway.
    Obvioulsy, I play his lines more like a bass player would - I've added leading notes here and there to give the lines a bit more movement in places, have forced a tiny bit more groove in there and the odd very simple fill where appropriate. The average listener wouldnt notice any difference, but I like to think a bassist would :)

I know precisely what you mean and I completely agree!

We're aiming for the Radio 1 'listen to music because I should' audience. These people love bland unoriginal sh1te and if I can make a semi-decent living playing it to 'em it's one giant step up from making a living working in a dull-as-sh1t office I say!
    Stuart (singer/songwriter) is also well aware that it is completely unoriginal. He has designed the songs especially to be sellable, non-offensive, catchy melodies, jangley guitars etc... Still damned good songs played well... just not original in the slightest!
    ...but when has being original ever been criteria for being popular?
    :D

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    LOL! You cheat! ;)

Well, if it's the "bland unoriginal" that you're going for, I guess it works!!! I'm not entirely sure that's what Radio 1 listeners like. But, not being a Radio 1 listener, I wouldn't know!

10. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Same as ...but you get the picture. It's music for the bland and unquestionabley happy.. and why not? They have to listen to something?!

...and I am cheating yes, but realistically the bass would only be better if I'd have played it ;)

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

OK - I've done that now - following the subsequent revelations, I now feel tempted to go back and write a review. Along the lines of - I was particularly taken with Howard's bass lines - I've never heard him play so well etc. etc ... ;)

12. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    you sarky devil you!!!

i'm playing them in spirit at least :)

13. Damn, I always miss important threads.

Well, my band (Apogee) were on onemusic ages ago, so I'm already registered there. I gave high marks, but its a bit late isn't it ?:oops: Hopefully it still counts for something.

Ironically, the recordings that are up for us are from before I joined, so I'm not actually playing bass on them either :p. Just as well, we got played on Radio 1 and some A&R guy from EMI absolutely slaughtered us :D.

14. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I should imagine that is pretty soul destroying. I'm not looking forward to that happening to any of my bands... thing you gotta remember I guess is that although they probably are a pretty good judge of a band, these guys have £ signs in their eyes and have preferences like everyone else... it's never going to be objective.

15. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah, exactly. If you get slaughtered, just remember the man at Decca that said "Guitar music is on the way out, Mr Epstein" and refused to sign The Beatles... ;)