Gauge and Tightness

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tsal, Jul 6, 2001.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I have understood that thicker the string, more tighter it is. Is this correct? I'm prolly putting on flats on my fiver and dunno what gauge to buy. My fretless has 100-45 set of D'Addario Chromes and they are all smooth and nice. I would prolly prefer .050 G-string since .045 feels bit thin but dunno how .105 E would act.

But anyways the B on that Yamaha is bit floppy, perhaps flats would feel better(as they are tighter), so should I just take the thickest set I find?
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yes, gauge affects tightness, but there's more to the story. The size and shape of the core seem to have a lot to do with how stiff the strings are as well. If you just want to try a fatter G, Fender makes a set of flats (9050 ML) in .050-.100. They are pretty nice, IMO. I'm currently using Ernie Ball flats in .050-.105, and the E doesn't feel any stiffer than the Fender .100 E. The G has a nice, fat sound too, especially after a couple of weeks.

So, I wouldn't recommend immediately jumping to the super-heavy flats, in part because you'll probably have to make fairly major neck and bridge adjustments. Also, something like the Labella Jamerson Set or the Ernie Ball .055-.110 set takes a lot of getting used to.
  3. the number of windings on the tuning-post affects the tightness too..
  4. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    for a 4 string I like 105-50

for the fiver your putting strings on, I suggest Fender 130-45, that's what I got on my Carvin LB75 right now (cept they're roundwounds). Very good strings :)
  5. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    No it doesn't. A string tuned to pitch is a string tuned to pitch and the number of turns on the post doesn't change that.
  6. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I think Flatwound said it well - core diameter has somethin'
    to do with tension. Not to mention core material.

There's a monster set of Roto Swing 66's (RS66-LH, s/s round)
    that are gauged 65-80-105-130 (that's G-D-A-E). Yet they're
    LOWER tension than, say, that Labella Jamerson set with
    a 110 E. Them dang things are dangerous! :p .