Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gauge questions for a 6er...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Brendan, Mar 16, 2001.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ok, lets pretend there's this kid who wants a six string bass, and all his friends laught at him for it...aw carp, it goe like this:

I was wondering, if I tuned a sixer F#BEADG, what would be the optimum string gauges for that? I usually think of .45, .65, .85, .105, .125(or.130) and then what for the F#? .150? .145? This is assuming of course, it's a 35 inch scale (if that means anything in gauge/floppiness terms), possibly a 36" scale if I could find one...

2. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Good question. It's one that I have ask too.

The general opinion is that nothing less than a .150 will do for the F#. Only problem is that I can't find a source for them.

Tyler makes an bass set up at the factory tuned to F#. Maybe they would have them. Markley and Fodora may have them but my efforts to contact them so far have failed.

I also got some good advice that a 18" driver would be needed to hear the low Hz of an F# string well.

Let me know if you find a source and I will do the same

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Brendan, i wouldnt advise the F# with the rig youre running, it wont be helpful at all. Itll probably just sound like you arent even playing when using it, and itll do damage to your amp likely. For you, id say itd be a total waste of money, and something you wont need. But hey, your choice. But youre going to need to invest in a lot of better quality (ie, expensive) amps and cabinets. The Ampeg 810 isnt exactly a great choice, if youre still looking at that.

Id also advise against the 36", because if the construction isnt flawless from the beginning, the F# on the 36" wont be THAT much different that on the 35". That, and the playability will kill you for the rest of frets unless you have just monster hands. Any builder than can build a 36" can probably built a very very fine 35".

And .150 probably wont be heavy enough for an F#, especially on a bass you'll be able to afford within reason. Id go heavier. If theres an average of .025-.030 between an E and a B, .015 between the B and F# isnt going to be nearly enough.

Regardless, youll need to invest probably twice as much or more in a new rig just to make 5 new notes useful. Id stick with a BEADG 5, if you dont want the C.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I know Angus...the rig comes before the bass. I'm going to upgrade in a serious way before I get a new bass. Could have had an 810 right now...but got that stupid computer instead! Oh well....just means I'll habe to work a lot more to get the rig now...

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I wouldnt waste the money on Ampeg, either. Their response to the F# would blow, pretty likely. You might want to invest (AND NOT BECAUSE I OWN THEM!) into some Bag Ends, or, if you must, maybe an Ampeg 4x10 with a woofer or two, for the low end. Bitchin, either way.