1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gauge/Tension/Action confusion (flats)...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by makkE, Jan 23, 2012.

1. makkE

makkE

Jan 19, 2010
    Normandie, France
    I'm confused.

got my new bass, Yamaha 1024 BB...

I put some flats on it (105-50 chromes), but I couldn't get the action anywhere comfortably playable without buzz.

Took it to my trusted dealer, and he said the action I wanted was pretty much impossible. (I had it set up the way I'd like it to be, with the buzz occuring).
    He is setting the bass up at the moment, so I can see how it feels when set up by a pro (he has 40 years of experience, so I trust his judgement).

Now I am confused. With the rounds on it, it felt perfect, a lot easier to play, and the action at least felt a lot lower.
    Is this due to the high tension of those chromes?

Do I need less tension and a smaller gauge of flats to get the same nice feel?

I am not too experienced in setup and flats.. on my squier, I could get a playable action even with the heavy labellas.

Would the lightest set of chromes feel better, or do I need a low tension-flat like TI ?

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Chromes are probably both higher tension and less flexible than the rounds you previously had on them. With that in mind, you should be able to achieve a lower action than you could with the rounds.

If you didn't adjust your truss rod too, the strings likely put more relief into your neck, increasing the string height over the board.

As far as fretting ability, that's tough to compare. With an equivalent setup (same string height everywhere), the Chromes should feel harder to play because they are stiffer and harder to fret. However, with lower action, the difference in fretting ability should be moot.

3. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    A 50 to 105 set of chromes produces a lot of tension. I'm using the 45 - 100 set (ECB81), which is also a bit stiff. The D-string is the toughest. It produces over 23 kg (51 lb) of tension. I'm trying to get an ECB84 set which is a little lighter like 40, 60, 80, 100.

4. makkE

makkE

Jan 19, 2010
    Normandie, France
    Thanks for trying to help.

As it turned out, the fretwork on the bass is shabby.
    It's being sent back to Yamaha now, with an angry letter from my dealer... :scowl:

He said it was the first time he saw a bad Yamaha... :( Had to be me of course...

So, back to the old Squier for a week ...

5. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    I feel sorry for you. Fortunately you've got a good dealer over there, who wants to help. Let's hope the problem will be solved to your satisfaction. The Yamahas I tried in the local store were always in good condition.

6. T.Rex

T.Rex

Sep 19, 2015
    Canada

Hey if you dont mind me asking you a question, im trying to get low action on my bass without buzz so lowered the action on my bridge on my acoustic bass and tried tightening the trust rod but its already tight and if i lower the action on the bridge it looks like it will start buzzing so do you have any solutions of how i can get lower action somehow?

7. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005