1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gauges question?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by CBgaragebassist, Sep 18, 2010.

1. For kicks and giggles, I decided I want to use the tuning F# C# Ab Db Gb. What gauges are reccomended? I'd most likely use Circle K if that helps.

2. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    So F# C# Ab Db Gb starting from F#0 a fourth below a standard B string? Good to see an interesting mix of fourths and fifths. What gauges do you like for standard BEADG?

3. I've been using a .132 B which isn't satisfying. I've been tuning to C# F# B E A (whole step up, not two 4ths down, just to clarify) recently and that's when i get good tension from it, so that might give you an idea of the tension I'd like from my B.

4. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Okay cool, thanks for the info. So you like a .132 C#. Nice and tight :)

Circle K Strings have a tension chart pdf here. I looked up the tension of their .130 tuned to C#, 45.2 lbf, and chose the other gauges to have a similar tension, to create a tension balanced set.

F# .043 38.1 lbf
    C# .061 41.4 lbf
    G# .084 43.0 lbf
    C# .130 45.2 lbf
    F# .190 42.3 lbf

I made the C# the tightest string, with a gentle tension roll-off above and below. I think a F# .200 at 46.8 lbf would be perhaps a little too tight.

I personally find a slight and gradual reduction of tension towards the highest string works extremely well, there are many good reasons for this which I won't go into now. The alternative is the tension going up and down, up and down erratically by choosing gauges closest to 45.2 ibf, which I personally feels worse. But some may disagree :D

5. Very nice. Thank you

6. Freak

7. Nazi.

8. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    So much for this thread.

9. Lol, that's what ends the thread and not the fact that my question was answered or that Larry decided to derail because he's not fond of me tunings?

10. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    LOL! :D

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021