Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ThePaste, Dec 24, 2000.

1. What does it mean when it says something like 45-105 or something like that... And also, what are some really heavy strings that i could get for not a whole lot of money?
  2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Welcome to TalkBass dude! :D

45-105, etc., refers to the outside diameter of a string in thousandths of an inch.
    Fer' instance: "45" would be .045 inches in diameter.

Here we go :p . As far as heavy strings, what are we talkin' about?
    Flatwounds or Roundwounds? Nickel or Steel wrap? Hex core or Round core?
    Each combination (and these are just a few) has it's own tone and feel.
    There are a whole lotta' posts here discussin' the pros and cons of each.
    Check these out, keeping in mind what sorta' tone you are lookin' for.
    There are some string reviews here as well:

Heavy Flatwounds ~
    GHS 3050: 55-70-90-105
    Labella James Jamerson: 52-73-95-110
    (both of these sets are also pretty stiff)

Heavy Roundwounds ~
    DR Low-Rider or Hi-Beam "Heavy": 50-70-90-110
    Snarling Dog "Gargantuan Garage Grunge": 55-75-90-115 personal favorite for ridiculously large strings?
    Rotosound RS66-LH: 65-80-105-130 Roundwounds.

I think the GHS and the Snarlin' Dog sets would be the cheapest of those listed.

For TOTALLY INSANE deals on strings, check with the moderator, un Senor 'erm :p ;)
    Herm can steer you in the right direction MUCH better than I can,
    and help you get what you're lookin' for, CHEAP!
  3. So a 45 is a bigger string than a 40? I was thinking about getting flatwounds also, if that helps. I'm also not looking to spend a lot of money since it's coming out of my own pocket.
  4. 45 is .045" like notduane said, and 40 would be .040". these gauges are usually use for the G string. If you look at the guages of a set, they might be 45-65-85-105, or .040" (G string, .065" (D string), .085" (A string), and .105" (E string). So the larger the number the heavier the gauge string.

As far as discussing pro's and con's of each. the link notduane gave you is a good place to research, as well as this website has a zillion threads about the P's and C's of all sorts of different strings. It's best to try different strings each time you get them until you find the strings you like. Sounds expensive, but it doesn't have to happen in a week. Just change brands/gauges everytime you need new strings.

Email me for some other ideas, and I can get you set up with a good set of strings at real low prices. I'm liquidating my inventory for prices that are below most dealers prices.
  5. Whoa cool! Maybe you could sell me some flats for cheap, or those Snarling Dogs Gargantuan Garage Grunge ones, they sound cool.

Also, are you familiar with the "squeek" that happens when, for instance, you have just been playing a single note for a long time. Then when you move up or down, it makes a bad squeeking noise because of the individual wraps in the string. Flats don't make this sound right?
  6. If the "squeek" you referring to is what I think it is, that is the sound of your fingers sliding across the roundwound outer winding of the string - then yes, flats will pretty much eliminate that noise.

Don't carry the Snarling Dogs, I'll email you a list of what I got.