Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gauging intrest in a little competion :)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ethon, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Ethon

Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    Ok, so here is the deal…My friend and I are creating a website in which bands will compete (bi) weekly (not sure yet) online.

Here is how we see it working:

It will be set up in similar fashion to sports like football, with bands competing against each other every week(s).

Each week, we will post a set of lyrics (either created by myself, one of my friends, etc.) or a key or some other restriction that you must create a song in. After posting the lyrics/key/whatever else info we give you, you will have a set amount of time for you and your band to create a song following these guidelines.

After the song is created, you will upload it to the site, where you will compete against a specific band. The winning band will be decided in a public poll.

It will work similar to sports in that the winning team will obviously get a win, and transversely, the losing team gets a loss.

After the ‘season’ is over, we would enter the post-seasons (playoff) mode, where teams get seeded similar to College Basketball (The #1 ranked team playing the last ranked team, #2 playing 2nd to last, etc)

In the playoffs, all guidelines are thrown out the window and bands would only be required to make their song under a certain length. As in the regular season, the polls would decide the winners until have a final winner of the season.

Anyways, that’s just a basic outline of how it would work, I’m just trying to gauge interest in this, and also receive any comments/suggestions you guys have.

If you and your band are interested in doing this, PLEASE, PLEASE drop me a line at Ethon@suxorz.com …also, post any suggestions/comments here…thanks!

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Prizes? Awards? Record deals?

3. to be honest i think it is a bit.. off. but i think for a competition you are on the right lines.

here's how i would've done it...:
    put up a set of lyrics, as you staed and the bands turn it into a song.

THEN go out and have a BOTB type thing; where they play their own material, as well as the song with your lyrics.

as far as prizes go, you could start with like strings and sticks, then if/as you progress and making some money from it (not for YOU personally, tho), you could start saving for some real nice goodies! :)

4. Ethon

Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    Obviously in the start, the people running the site (or whoever would want to donate) would be buying the prizes; sticks, sets of strings, picks, etc. But maybe if it gained popularity, we could deal with a record label and have a record contract or something as a grand prize to the winner

Micro...the whole point is for it to be an online competition each week...not an actual BOTB thing; perhaps I chose a few wrong words...

Anyways, Id like to see more people interested in ACTUALLY doing this...lol