1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gauging intrest in a little competion :)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ethon, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Ethon

Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    Ok, so here is the deal…My friend and I are creating a website in which bands will compete (bi) weekly (not sure yet) online.

Here is how we see it working:

It will be set up in similar fashion to sports like football, with bands competing against each other every week(s).

Each week, we will post a set of lyrics (either created by myself, one of my friends, etc.) or a key or some other restriction that you must create a song in. After posting the lyrics/key/whatever else info we give you, you will have a set amount of time for you and your band to create a song following these guidelines.

After the song is created, you will upload it to the site, where you will compete against a specific band. The winning band will be decided in a public poll.

It will work similar to sports in that the winning team will obviously get a win, and transversely, the losing team gets a loss.

After the ‘season’ is over, we would enter the post-seasons (playoff) mode, where teams get seeded similar to College Basketball (The #1 ranked team playing the last ranked team, #2 playing 2nd to last, etc)

In the playoffs, all guidelines are thrown out the window and bands would only be required to make their song under a certain length. As in the regular season, the polls would decide the winners until have a final winner of the season.

Anyways, that’s just a basic outline of how it would work, I’m just trying to gauge interest in this, and also receive any comments/suggestions you guys have.

If you and your band are interested in doing this, PLEASE, PLEASE drop me a line at Ethon@suxorz.com …also, post any suggestions/comments here…thanks!

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Prizes? Awards? Record deals?

3. to be honest i think it is a bit.. off. but i think for a competition you are on the right lines.

here's how i would've done it...:
    put up a set of lyrics, as you staed and the bands turn it into a song.

THEN go out and have a BOTB type thing; where they play their own material, as well as the song with your lyrics.

as far as prizes go, you could start with like strings and sticks, then if/as you progress and making some money from it (not for YOU personally, tho), you could start saving for some real nice goodies! :)

4. Ethon

Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    Obviously in the start, the people running the site (or whoever would want to donate) would be buying the prizes; sticks, sets of strings, picks, etc. But maybe if it gained popularity, we could deal with a record label and have a record contract or something as a grand prize to the winner

Micro...the whole point is for it to be an online competition each week...not an actual BOTB thing; perhaps I chose a few wrong words...

Anyways, Id like to see more people interested in ACTUALLY doing this...lol